Saturday, September 17, 2011

Conversation Addendum

One thing I failed to mention in my last post was the fact that I brought up my recent review of Michael Ivey and his book "A Welsh Succession of Primitive Baptists." Elder Montgomery indicated that it was not a very good or correct history of matters. Ivey is from Texas as is Elder Montgomery. I mentioned to him how I showed that Ivey was all wrong about the beliefs of the old Welsh Baptists, and about the beliefs of Benjamin Coxe, John Clark and Obadiah Holmes, etc. I mentioned to him how Ivey twisted the words of the writings of the old Baptists of London and Wales just as the Fulton brethren did to the words of the London Confession in the year 1900. Montgomery affirmed that Ivey's work had been generally dismissed by the Hardshells and that is why it had not ever been reprinted. I said, "well, it is on the internet." I got the distinct impression that Ivey believed that the Hardshells would be better off if Ivey's book could be buried in oblivion. But, he might as well reject all their histories, since all of them handle their history about the same way as Ivey! Ivey twisted and distorted the words of the oldest confessions of the Welsh!

No comments: