Wednesday, January 13, 2016

My Meeting With Sonny Pyles (iii)

After Break and prayer
(remember, all this is imaginary)

Sonny

Stephen, I have not been coddled but have had my share of dealings with troublemakers in the church. Yes, I am respected as is Lasserre. However, it is hopefully because people have seen that we really love the old Baptists and have their best interest in heart and mind, and which I might add, you did not always seem to show. Further, I am happy that you are happy. I am not trying to get you to come back to the church. You even admit that you could not he happy in such a loveless place. But, I am asking that you give us a break in your constant denunciations and diatribes against us.

Stephen

Well, brother, ignoring me is not the way to shut me up. That has been tried but has failed. It is not by attacking my character or by spreading lies about me. That has also been tried and has also failed. It is not by encouraging me to go on to other topics and groups for that too has been tried and failed. The only way to shut me up is to answer what I write. Only one person has come forth publicly to do this and he soon saw he could not handle the heat, got out of the kitchen. I am talking about Jason of course. Did you read our long discussion or parts of it?

Sonny

Yes, Jason sent me copies of your discussions.

Stephen

Surely I would like to know your thoughts about it, though not necessarily now. But, back to my relentless writings. Let me add that my apologetic writings against the Hardshells have only been a part of my writings. I have numerous writings on the Internet involving many subjects and groups. I have attacked the Campbellites all my life, having had a dozen public debates with them. I have writings against them. I have lengthy writings against Sabellianism, on the weak brothers in Romans and Corinthians, on eschatology, etc. I write what is on my mind and what I feel impressed to study. I only continue to write against hardshellism because my sister, nephew, and father are yet Hardshells. My nephew is in line to take over the pastorship of the church dad pastors. I write so that I can save the Hardshells from their heresies and keep other people from entering the cult. What is wrong with that? By the way, my dad has also asked me, "son, why don't you leave the old Baptists alone? Why don't you study something else?" My response has been to say "dad, I study lots of topics in the Bible. I study Baptist history. I do not limit myself to issues in hardshellism when it comes to what I study. I regularly engage others in my other blogs, Arminians, Calvinists, etc."

Since I began my Internet writings years ago, several Hardshell preachers have left the Hardshells. Others have called or written to me to express their agreement. Brother Kevin Fralick knows. We have people write to us and tell us how they are glad that we have written what we have, that they have been helped and kept away from this cult. Plus, my hope is, that more and more will reform and return to the real old Baptist faith, believing that if they do, they will experience great revival.

You know, Sonny, I must be really doing some damage with my writings (Kevin's too) to cause you, dad, and Jason to ask me to stop. It seems you can't ignore me though you try.

Sonny

No, Stephen, we would like for you to stop it or tone it down, seeing it is not doing you nor anyone else any good. It is a distraction to us, that is all.

Stephen

Why should I? Any Hardshell who visits my blogs and reads my writings, especially on the Hardshells, will come away better informed. They are getting things in these writings that they will not get anywhere else. Though some Hardshells might agree with a lot of what I write, yet because they are inside the cult, they know they cannot say it openly without doing harm to their standing. So, in a sense, Elder Fralick and I become voices for these Hardshells. Further, as I said, I am writing out of love for the Hardshells and trying to save them from their sad state. I think I have a better prescription for their growth and for their increase in Christian love and knowledge of the truth than Elder Joe Hildreth published. The Hardshells, were they to imitate Spurgeon, would see their churches grow and prosper.

Further, the Hardshells have got to get rid of their spirit of opposition to anything and everything, become less intolerant and more charitable. They must get that passion for souls that old Elder John Leland talked about, as did men like Elder John Watson.

Sonny

Sometimes when I hear you say such things, I think of how it is a shame that Stephen is not now with us and showing us these things as our friend rather than our enemy. I am not saying that I agree with all your criticisms, but as Jason Brown said to you, there is a lot of merit in what you say about us. And, as far as Kevin leaving us and joining you in your crusade, and about others leaving or been kept from joining us, we regret that. Kevin was treated with nothing but love while he was with us. We have our disgruntled brethren and troublemakers, pushy people, and you guys appeal to these types. You prey on the unstable among us.

Stephen

Brother Sonny, why are you and the Hardshells so interested in brother Kevin and me stopping our "diatribes" if we are doing no harm to your cult group? You know, one of my other blogs, which is read more than the Old Baptist blog, is called "The Baptist Gadfly," and that is what I intend to be to the Hardshells, and other heretical groups, a pest. I will continue to show people their sins, as called of God to do. And, I will call for repentance as commanded of God to do. Further, it seems to me that all you have said thus far supports the idea of further dialogue and debate, not less of it. I think people enjoyed the discussion I had with Jason. People would enjoy any exchanges you and I might have in the future. I hardly see how it would hurt the old Baptists for us to present both sides to the questions we are now discussing. I just don't understand this general reluctance on Hardshells not to engage Kevin and me in open and frank discussion. Of what are you all afraid? Cayce or Daily would not hesitate to engage us were they here.

Sonny

Well, of course, you do what you want. You are going to do so any way. But, it seems to me that you could at least tone it down and become less combative. You can attract more interest with a sweeter tone than one that evinces anger and hostility, and ironically, a lack of the love of Christ that you mentioned. I think more of our preachers would engage you if they saw that your spirit was much more meek.

Stephen

Well, like you say, "that is a lot to respond to." But, let me begin. First, I am glad we are still talking to some extent about "love." You said the Hardshells have shown you much love. Well, I thought of this verse:

"And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness." (Eze. 33:31)

People can show much love and yet it be no sign that the love they are showing is Christ like. Many in the Hardshell church who likewise showed me much love actually had a knife ready to stab me in the back. They were not looking out for my good but for my harm. They saw me as a threat to them, and Hardshell elders are known, by historians at least, to have traditionally been very zealous of their position in the hardshell pecking order. People who want the preeminence will generally do so under cloak and disguise. You know that. How much love did the Hardshells show to dad? Was it out of love that Elder Harold Hunt wrote such vitriolic language against my father? Was it out of love that many have denounced in scathing anathemas the work of Elder Bradley, the Cincinnati church, and the so called liberal brethren? Just as you did in that sermon I critiqued titled "will all the elect hear the gospel?" Brother Kevin, ask him about the love that was shown him and his beloved father. Read all the letters I have gotten from people who have left the Hardshell cult and they will tell you about the love that was shown them by the Hardshells. Need I go on?

Sonny

Again, who can doubt that you state the truth as respects some among us. But you must not generalize nor give a false inference from some of the cases you give. I am certainly not going to deny that we have had our would be popes, and people who wanted to be viewed as supreme, but we also have far more meek and humble servants, ones who often get little recognition, because they do not blow their own horns, but who are just the opposite of these few character types that you mention, and who do not represent our church as a whole. About Harold Hunt, I'll just leave that one alone. He can defend himself if he wants to do so. About Elder Bradley, I don't think we really ought to get into that either. But, let me say this about love. Did not Paul say that love keeps no list of wrongs? If you love us, why do you constantly make lists of wrongs? Why do readers of your writings come away feeling not love emanating from them, but anger and wrath? Further, in my sermon about whether all the elect will hear the gospel, and my reference to gospel regeneration, I did not have Bradley specifically in mind, for so far as I know, he still believes in immediate regeneration apart from gospel preaching. What I was opposing in that sermon was those who may be associated with Bradley and who are preaching gospel regeneration, which is a heresy that we will not tolerate.

Stephen

Boy, that is a lot to respond to. I am glad I am taking notes as my memory is not as good as it used to be, and never was as good as yours! (laugh)

Knock Knock

Paulette

Steve, Newell Helms is here. Come on in Elder Helms.

Stephen

Newell! It is so good to see you. It has been a couple years or so since I saw you. This is amazing. Forty years ago I was engaged to your daughter, and she and I were sitting in your living room while you, Elder Pyles, Elder Jarrel, and Stuart Crane were all in a room discussing fascinating stuff. And now here are three of us together!

Newell

It is good to see you Steve. I like your old farm house and porches.

Stephen

We love it and have been here thirteen years and hope to be till we die. We thank God for it every day.

Where is Elder Pyles preaching tonight?

Newell

At Union Grove. He is then spending the night with me.

Stephen

Sonny, I hate I was not able to answer your last response. Can you come back tomorrow?

Sonny

I'll see. Can I call you in the morning?

Stephen

Yes. And, let me say that it has been so good to see you again. My prayers are that God will use you for the good of the old Baptists, which I think you could be, if you would just see your errors on the new birth.

Sonny

It was good to see you too Stephen. So long.


No comments: