Saturday, June 9, 2018

Bob L. Ross on Garrett's Hardshell Research

One of the reasons why very few Hardshells have wanted to debate with us about Hardshell history and heresies is because they know that I know their history better than they do and they know that they cannot handle the truth respecting it. My years of work doing that research and writing chapters in my online book, "The Hardshell Baptist Cult," show that my knowledge of their history is extensive.

Bob himself wrote a small book entitled "History and Heresies of Hardshellism" and is a good work. It is available on the Internet. He did the same with the Campbellites. Neither the Campbellites nor the Hardshells want us to talk about their history.

Here is what Bob posted about my research and which I think makes for a good recommendation for the book. He posted this several years ago. I have continued to read old PB literature and am more informed about their history now.

THE RESEARCH WORK OF STEPHEN GARRETT (SEE HERE)

I just can't say enough in commendation of the tremendous and valuable research work done by the former "Hardshell" minister, Stephen Garrett at the BaptistGadfly.

I measure my words when I say that no writer with whom I am acquainted has done more to plough-up the "Hardshell" heresies and erroneous scriptural interpretations.

Surely, Stephen has come to the kingdom "for such a time as this" when Hybrid, Hyper, Ultra, and Pseudo "Calvinism" is rampant on blogs and websites.

Not only so, but Stephen is also an expert on "Campbellism," and has conducted quite a number of Public Debates with some of the representatives of this "twin" of Hardshellism, both born from the same "womb" of Pedobaptist Hyper Calvinism. Though diverse, these two 19th century (1830's) movements represent two aberrant extremes in departing from the creedal view of the Gospel in relation to the New Birth -- the Hardshells teaching the "Spirit Alone" heresy and the Campbellites teaching the "Word Alone" heresy.

A few years ago, it was my privilege to appear with Stephen and Larry Wessels on Larry's "Christian Answers of Austin, Texas" to do a series of TV programs on "Hardshellism." I never fail to learn from Stephen, especially in view of his many years of affiliation with the "Primitive Baptist Church" (Hardshells).

If you are interested in either or both of these, you will find no better source for evaluating and refuting them than from the writings which Stephen Garrett has erected on the BaptistGadfly.

I thank Bob for his commendation. Bob spent a lot of time doing research, reading many Hardshell writings, before he wrote his book on the Hardshells. It has been my pleasure to be his friend.



No comments: