Sunday, May 6, 2012

Who is Old Baptist?

Brown wrote:

"As we have observed in a recent blog dealing with Garrett's Fullerism, Brother Garrett is not an Old Baptist.

Brother Garrett stated:

"But, God has absolute foreknowledge, and knows who will believe and who will not. Therefore, Christ died only for those whom he foreknew would believe."

The London Confession plainly states in Chapter 3, paragraph 2:

"Although God knoweth whatsoever may or can come to pass, upon all supposed conditions,5 yet hath He not decreed anything, because He foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions."

I demand he change the title of his blog, the "Old Baptist". What a farce."

The charge that I am not an Old Baptist is truly comical coming from a Hardshell!  The Hardshells reject what the old confession says about regeneration being by means of the word, reject what it says about predestination and the decrees, reject what it says about saving faith and repentance, and reject what it says about perseverence!  I accept what the old confession says on all these points.

Further, Jason wants to accuse me of being a "Fullerite" and yet he has not proven it.  As I have said before, "Fullerism" is a bugaboo word with the Hardshells.  To them Andrew Fuller was a rank heretic.  Though I disagree with Fuller on the atonement question, I consider Fuller to be an Old Baptist.  I never have thought that his views were of the category of "heresy" and that the Hardshells should never have made it an issue of church fellowship.

I have repeatedly affirmed in all my posts that Christ died, as an atoning substitute, for the sins of believers only.  Thus, Jason is uttering falsehood when he represents me otherwise.  He needs to repent of doing such things.

Jason also further accused me of being Fullerite and against the Old London Confession (and therefore not legitimately an "Old Baptist") because I said that God foreknew who would believe.  Does Jason deny this?  What Jason must know is that I did not say that God based his choice on who he foresaw would believe.  I have always affirmed that men are chosen to faith, not because of faith.  I even stoutly defended this view when in debate with Bruce Reeves of the "Church of Christ" when we debated the doctrine of election for four nights. 

I cited the words of Scripture where it is said that Jesus knew from the beginning who would believe and who would not.  (John 6: 64)  My point was that the Lord knew not only who would believe (because of being predestined thereto) but also who would not believe, who would reject his offer of salvation and atonement.  Had the Lord foreseen any of the non-elect believing and repenting, then certainly Christ would have actually atoned for them. 

It seems that I have gotten under the skin of Brother Jason for he has become irritated and hostile.  The heat in the kitchen is not having a positive effect on him.  I pray the Lord comes to his aid.

No comments: