Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pot Calling the Kettle Black?

In Jason Brown's latest posting, he says many things that are not worth responding to, especially regarding the teachings of scripture. But, he does say some derogatory things about me personally, concerning my early years in the Hardshell denomination. It is these personal attacks that I will respond to.  See here

http://primitivebaptistapologist.blogspot.com/

Brown wrote:

"Brother Garrett claims that views of soteriology that I have espoused are not the majority report among Primitive Baptists. I have mentioned previously that David Pyles, a prominent Elder among the Old Baptists, has testified to me that this is not the case. Perhaps Brother Garrett's father, who is also an Elder among the PB's, represents more of a minority than Brother Garrett realizes."

David Pyles and Jason Brown do not represent the surpassing majority view of today's Hardshells on either soteriology or predestination. He can claim otherwise but he cannot prove it. I have, on the other hand, proven my side of the question. I regularly cite leading Hardshell elders and apologists to show what is the stated view of the denomination. I cite from Sarrels, Cayce, etc. Let Brown come forward and deny that these are recognized leading men. Brother Fralick can also testify that Brown is wrong to affirm that most Hardshells agree with him and with Pyles.

Most Primitive Baptists do not believe that all the elect will embrace the gospel when they hear it. They certainly don't believe that hearing the gospel is necessary to be eternally saved.

My dad has been preaching with the Primitive Baptists for about 45 years and he knows what they teach.  I also know what they teach. 

Brown wrote:

"Sometimes an abrasive approach incites controversy where the issues broached are not the real or only cause of division. Did Brother Garrett, while among the Primitive Baptists, approach these issues with humility and patience? Or was he as much as a firebrand then as he appears to be on his blog now? As a young Elder among the PB's in the early 80's, did Elder Stephen Garrett intreat the older Elders with the same respect he would his father, as the Scripture commands? I wonder how much of his difficulties were personality rather than doctrine. I appreciate and admire Brother Garrett's intellect and knowledge and I read his blog with interest even where we disagree. I am not arguing ad hominem against Brother Garrett's views here - I'm simply suggesting that Brother Garrett could have been more fruitful with patience. It takes wine time to ferment."

"I am not arguing ad hominem"?  Unbiased people, who know what "ad hominem" is, will believe otherwise.

Obviously Brown was not around in the 70s and early 80s to know the truth about my relationship with the Hardshells.  So he is obviously repeating hearsay.  I wonder who gave him these ideas about my personality?  Could it be David Pyles?  David I did meet when I stayed with his father, Elder Sonny Pyles, for several days, back in the late 70s, when David was a teenager.  So, I suspect that what Brown is saying is coming from Sonny Pyles.  And, if so, Sonny is not one to be accusing people of being "abrasive," as this is one of his own characteristics, one that he even confesses to be true of him!   When it comes to being "abrasive," I cannot "hold a candle" to Sonny. 

If Brown will read the chapter on my experiences with the Hardshells he ought to see that it was men like John Robbins and C. M. Mills who were the truly "abrasive" types! 

I am "abrasive" now?  That is not an "ad hominem" attack?  Is it not my argumentation that is what is "abrasive" to the Hardshells, rather than my spirit and personality?  Perhaps I should say as Paul - "though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge." 

"Humility and patience"?  Are those characteristics of the Hardshells?  Anyone who reads the lambastic words of the Hardshells, over the past two hundred years, can see that this is a case of "the pot calling the kettle black."  Anyone who knows their history knows that the Hardshells are of a very schismatic spirit and extremely abrasive. 

Peter was older than Paul.  Did Paul treat Peter with the kind of treatment due to older elders when he reproved Peter for his hyprocrisy? 

I could have manifested "more patience"?  I was very patient!  Letting popes like John Robbins and C. M. Mills run roughshod over me.  Men like Elders Benton and McLamb insisted that I agree with them on the rich man and Lazarus in order to be ordained?  I put up with a lot of abuse from the Hardshells for many years and exercised lots of patience. 

David and Sonny Pyles have succeeded with the Hardshells because of their meek and quiet spirit? 

I am supposed to show love, patience, and humility towards Hardshells but what about their lack of showing such to me?  Why does that not get mentioned?  I could give numerous examples of the evil spirit that many Hardshells have manifested to both my father and myself.  Were the Hardshells who made the origin of Satan a test of fellowship operating from a meek and patient spirit?  Were those Hardshells who wanted to declare non-fellowship against any who believed that the story of the rich man and Lazarus taught what happens when people die operating from a spirit of humility and patience? 

Brown has not been abrasive himself in his writings against me?

I recall Elder Sonny Pyles saying about me, in the midst of my troubles with the Hardshells, that I showed "sterling wisdom" and a "godly spirit."  Has he now changed his mind?  I know in my own heart that I was very humble and patient in taking all the abuse that was shown to me by the Hardshells.  Let Brown come forward and prove otherwise.  What proof can he give to show that I was as he accuses?

No comments: