Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Bob L. Ross Memorial

 


2/25/1935 to 12/13/2020


For his memorial video (done by Larry Wessels) see here

I did not know till recently that Bob L. Ross of Pilgrim Publications of Pasadena, Texas passed away in December. Bob's health has been deteriorating for years. He was nearly completely blind in his last few years. 

I cannot say enough in praise of Bob Ross. Though he did not have titles behind his name he was nevertheless one of the greatest doctors of theology. He was author of many books and I have had the pleasure of reading them all. He also held several debates and defended Baptist doctrines expertly. 

He had me out to Pasadena in the early 1990s to do a video with brother Wessels on Hardshell Baptists. I stayed in his home for several days. He was such a good friend! He also later wrote a small book called "The History and Heresies of Hardshellism." I lent him all my books when he was doing his research on the "Primitive Baptists." He was a staunch opponent of the "born again before faith" heresy of many (like James White) of "Reformed" or "Hardshell" Baptists. 

His book against "oneness Pentecostal" beliefs, involving their denial of the Trinity and of the eternal sonship of Jesus Christ, is excellent. His books on Campbellism and Landmarkism are great source books for those doing research on those errors. He also wrote several books on prophecy.

Father and Bob were close friends when father was a Missionary Baptist. Bob in the late fifties and early sixties was editor of "The Baptist Examiner" that was published by the Ashland church in Ashland, Kentucky. He was the son in law of John Gilpin the well known pastor of that church. Bob was very disappointed when father joined the Hardshells. Years after this Bob and father carried on a lengthy correspondence on their differences and I have all those letters (father sent them to me before he passed).

Bob loved Spurgeon and became one of the leading publishers of Spurgeon's works. Any time I had a question about Spurgeon, I would call Bob. 

Bob is at home with his Lord. He is also with Spurgeon and with father. Let us give honor to those to whom it is due. Bob is truly deserving of much honor.

10 comments:

Ken Mann said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your long time friend and brother in Christ.
"Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints. O LORD, truly I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant ; you have freed me from my chains. I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the LORD." Psalms 116:15-16

Kevin Fralick said...

It was he who first put me onto your website long ago. I called him just as I was about to be ostracized by my home church. In addition to the works already cited, I also benefited from his little pamphlet on musical instruments.

David L. said...

Do you have any idea what happened to the bookstore of Bob Ross? Where did all the Spurgeon volumes go?? Thanks for your help. David Leach TheBibliognost@protonmail.com.

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear David:

I assume he sold everything. I know he was selling his old books a few years before his death. About the Spurgeon volumes I don't know. I believe he has a daughter (who may live in Pasadena). As you may know, his son Michael dies several years ago.

Stephen

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear David:

He had two daughters and one son still living besides Michael. His daughters were (as of Michael's death) Deborah Antoine and Rebecca Ross and Nathan Ross his living son.

Stephen

Mary judkins said...

He published my late father’s books - Eric Hayden

Anonymous said...

bob ross a great “doctor” of theology?? seriously? i have listened to him in 3 different debates and i have a total of 3 notebook pages that list out his “misrepresentations” (on purpose which means after he had been told/corrected)
i promise that i hate to see anyone pass away and hope bob had obeyed the gospel of christ!
call a spade a spade though

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Anon:

I am guessing you are a Campbellite? Yes, Bob did obey the gospel. This is the kind of comment I would expect from Campbellites.

Stephen

bart said...

you are guessing wrong then my friend.
something wrong with saying "i hope he has obeyed the gospel?" (for i am NOT ashamed of the gospel of Christ for IT is the power of God unto salvation...")
great!! proud to hear he obeyed!!

you know, a scary thought to entertain is the fact that if people just refuse to set their bias/venom/hatred to the side and say "i want the truth! and i don't care what i have to do to see it/understand it and i will not stop until i have it because i want to seek God because of what all he has done for me"..............life is too short/eternity is too long/heaven is to fine/hell is too hot for a person to live out all his days on this earth and go through life's struggles and be lost in the end.
you better make sure you have it right!!

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Bart:

Well, if you are not a Campbellite, whom Dr. Ross debated many times, wrote books against, including examining their history, then what church do you affiliate with? I bet you will come back and say "Church of Christ." But, isn't that what the followers of Alexander Campbell call themselves, or perhaps "Christian Church"? Many Hardshells don't like being called Hardshell. Most, if not all, Campbellites don't want to be called such. Many Arminians don't want to be called Arminian. Etc.

You should have already known that Dr. Ross had obeyed the gospel. He believed it, repented, turned to God, confessed his sins and his Lord, called upon his name, was baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and lived a holy and godly life.

Yea, we want the "truth," but I am sure your truth is not exactly as mine, for I do not believe in salvation by physical water. Neither did brother Bob.