Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Primitive Baptist Song Services

When I was pastoring Haws Run and Grassy Primitive Baptist churches (1979-1983) in eastern NC (Jacksonville area) I used to stay with various members on the weekends (we at first only met once a month at either church until I was going every weekend). It was a four hour drive from Monroe, NC. One of the members was brother Cecil Davis (he had two brothers who were members and I stayed with one of them also several times). He was a talented mandolin player and high tenor singer. He used to play for me when I stayed with him. When Elder Cecil Darity was with me one time (we invited him to come) we both had supper at his house. He played for Elder Darity (both their names were "Cecil"). Elder Darity thought he was so good that he wanted to get him to let him recommend him to bluegrass Hardshell musicians he knew. Brother Davis did not want it. He was in his fifties back then. I think it was Ralph Stanley who is a Hardshell Baptist and Darity knew him. 

Oftentimes when I was there on a weekend there would be "fish fries" (outdoor cooking fish, clams, etc. in oil on an open fire). Many times brother Davis would play his mandolin and others, some members of the above churches, and some not, would also be present and play songs, many of which were gospel. There was the banjos, large bass, guitars, fiddles, etc. I really had a good time. Looking back on this I have often thought of how blessed the "Primitive Baptist" churches would be if they allowed their talented musicians and singers to perform. I love congregational singing. I like both acapella and musical instruments accompanying. But, I would love to see churches with such talent to use it. This was done in the old testament in worship and praise. I like it when either a piano or guitar accompanies congregational singing.

What is wrong with PB churches allowing their members to sing as Trios and Quartets? What is wrong with small groups singing in lead of the congregation? 

One of the best quartets that I ever heard composed only of Primitive Baptists was one in which Elders Lasserre Bradley Jr., Paul Trautner, Cincinnati deacon Paul Prather (and another man I don't recall his name)  sang together. I wrote about this three years ago (See here). One of the songs "We'll understand it better by and by" can still be heard (here) I think Bradley is singing bass. Trautner (who I knew quite well when a PB) is a very good singer. I think brother Prather is singing Tenor. Now, let me ask this question, what would have been wrong for these men to sing for the church in a church service? Nothing. In fact, I am sure that it would have been blessed.  

No comments: