Thursday, June 10, 2021

WHAT "REFORMED BAPTISTS" SAY ABOUT THEMSELVES--WOW!

 So recently I've talked to several who call themselves "Reformed Baptist". I was actually a little shocked that they were so up front, but at least they were honest, and in so being, said what I already knew. What was even sadder, is that 6 out of the 8 men I spoke with, could NOT state with total assurance that they were elect, saved. For some background, see "BAPTISTS--REFORMED OR REFORMERS? PARTS 1 AND 2 here https://old-baptist-test.blogspot.com/2021/05/baptists-reformed-or-reformers-ive-been.html.

  I took the points I made in part 1, and asked some Reformed folk what they thought about the points I made. I will reproduce below EXACTLY what they said and you can form your own opinions.

From a "Reformed Baptist" pastor: "Yes I totally agree with ALL the reformed positions, except for the mode of baptism, but I am not dogmatic about it, and will gladly accept members from other churches who were baptized as infants without rebaptism."  So Baptists shouldn't be "dogmatic" about believers baptism by immersion? Does this pastor understand what Baptists suffered for their belief in believer's baptism by immersion? How does any other mode show that we are identified with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection? And what kind of Baptist accepts any baptism without a credible profession of faith? Keep reading.

From another "Reformed Baptist" pastor: "We do believe in the "catholicity" of the Church, which we hold to be part of. Since Christ was God incarnate, I really don't have an issue with the Chalcedonian Creed referring to Mary as "the Mother of God". So God has a mother? I am sorry but this sounds like paganism. Jesus was virgin born, had an earthly mother for sure, but it can also be said that He had an earthly father in Joseph. I am not ignorant about this issue, and understand that the Catholic Church started using this term as a buffer against those who would deny either Christ's divinity or His humanity, however if the triune God has a "mother" then who is His father? This term is one that has led to prayers to Mary and the saints, with some Catholics going so far as to call her "co-redemptrix" with Christ.This just keeps getting worse. Read on.

From a "Reformed Baptist" teacher/theologian from the website "gotquestions.org: "Last summer our pastor hosted a trip to Europe for touring various sites that were significant to the reformation. Many times, orthodox Presbyterian churches and reformed Baptist churches are interchangeable with their beliefs, except for infant baptism and eschatology, and the presence of liturgy. The word “reformed” is used in multiple contexts. It can refer to worship style, the 5 points of Calvinism, or to any other part of church practice and belief that comes from the reformation." So ANY belief that "comes from the reformation" is acceptable? How about consubstantiation? Is that acceptable to "Reformed Baptists" as well? This commentor proudly proclaims that he visited the sites of the reformation, but I wonder did he visit the sites where Anabaptists and those who practiced believers baptism were burned at the stake? Did he visit the caves in Switzerland where they were forced to hide? Do they understand that there is MUCH ambiguity among the Reformed theologians about whether or not one must hear the Gospel to be saved?

AND hot off the press! I found out I had a neighbor who is a retired Presbyterian minister. I asked him, "what do you think of "Reformed Baptists"? He chuckled and said "There's no such critter". hmmm. He told me more, but I will save that for a later date.

AND another from  a writer on puritanboard.com: "Most people that start out Methodists, if they become calvinist, will move to the Presbyterian Church. I was raised Methodist, I personally know of several people from that congregation that became Calvinist, everyone of us left the denomination. Most of them go straight to the Presbyterian Church, I took a detour and became a reformed Baptist before becoming Presbyterian. All reformed roads lead to Presbyterian".

Please know that not all those who call themselves "Reformed" hold these views. However, when it is systemic throughout Reformed theology, is that a name one should take if he is truly Baptist?

No comments: