Thursday, January 6, 2022

Regeneration Before Faith Proof Texts (summation)

With this post I will summarize my thoughts on this series.

I presented twelve affirmative arguments to show that regeneration and spiritual life follow union with Christ by faith. I do not see how anyone can overthrow them. They also represent the views of the first Reformers, such as Luther and Calvin, and also of such great men as John Owen and the signers of the 1689 London Confession of faith. Because these affirmative arguments or proofs from holy scripture are so strong, it accounts for the fact that very few of the Hyper Calvinists want to take on the task of disproving them. 

After giving the affirmative case I then looked at the main scriptures and arguments used by the born again before faith advocates use to prove their view. I showed that none of them taught their proposition. 

I have shown how regeneration and conversion are viewed in scripture as denoting the same initial salvation experience and have affirmed that those later Calvinists and Reformers who divorced regeneration from conversion, gave to the term "regeneration" a strict narrow meaning (which is not biblical), and who then spoke of two kinds of regeneration, one narrowly defined and one broadly defined, and thus caused a theological slippery slope, leading to Hyper Calvinism and an apostasy from true Calvinism and of the Reformed doctrine of Protestants. The narrow kind of regeneration was divorced from faith and repentance, or from conversion, but the new testament clearly defines regeneration as conversion. It only knows of regeneration broadly defined.

I also in a series preceding this series showed how logically justification preceded sanctification, which latter included regeneration and all spiritual and moral transformation. I showed that both the Bible and the first Reformers emphasized that justification was by faith, by evangelical faith in Christ, and that following faith and justification, the sinner received spiritual life and a new nature. 

I also have shown that the first Reformers, in keeping with the teaching of scripture, taught that all spiritual blessings followed union with Christ and union was by faith.  But, the Hypers, in divorcing faith from regeneration, taught that union with Christ preceded faith, thus denying that union was by faith. On this the later Reformers, or Hyperists, would speak contradictorily, saying in one place that union is by faith, and then in another teach that regeneration (union) precedes faith.

If I put all these chapters in these series together into one book, and titled it "The Ordo Salutis Debate" and published it, how many would read it? Knowing the answer, I have simply put it out there in a blog for any to read who really want to know the answer to this hotly debated question. I invite any to show where I have erred in my writings on this subject. 

What think ye? 

No comments: