Saturday, December 9, 2023

If I Were Still A Hardshell

"4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. 7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. 8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. 9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak." (I Cor. 8: 4-9 kjv)

Several years ago I wrote a series on the weak and strong brothers whom Paul talks about in I Corinthians chapters eight and nine and in Romans chapter fourteen. (They are in the archives of The Baptist Gadfly blog with the first in the series here; and the last in that series here) I showed how the common view that affirms that the weak brothers are born again Christians who have "scruples" about certain beliefs and practices is false and showed rather how they were not Christians at all and Paul's calling the weak "brothers" did not mean that they were Christian.  I showed that this was the term Paul used to refer to his religious brothers among the Pagans, much like the Communists used the term "comrade" which means "brother." My view is proven by these words of the apostle in the context:

"To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." (I Cor. 9: 22)

If weak brothers are already Christian, already gained and saved, then why does Paul say he wants to save and gain them? 

My view is upheld by some, whom I cite in my series. I found out later that Dr. W. P. Throgmorton held to the view I hold. 

Not only does I Cor. 9: 22 show that the weak (impotent) brothers are not saved, but the text above in chapter eight also shows it. It says that weak brothers do not possess or believe the stated creed of Christians which says that there is only one God and one Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, etc. How can the weak brothers be saved if they do not believe Paul's creedal statement? 

If these weak brothers are saved, as most commentators affirm, then I would argue, if I were still a Hardshell Baptist, that it shows that one can be wrong on who are God and Christ and still be "brothers" and go to heaven. And, I would argue that the "gaining" and "saving" of the weak brother was a "time salvation" that was not determinant of eternal destiny.

Of course, one must also deal with these comments of Paul on the weak brothers:

"And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?" (8: 11)

After I got my opponent to affirm that the weak brothers were born again children of God, I would as a Hardshell apologist then ask what salvation was effected by gaining and saving the weak. He could not say initial salvation but say it was some kind of temporal salvation post initial salvation. And, I would have him affirming that the weak brother "perishing" was a temporal perishing. 

Thankfully, however, I am not a Hardshell. 

The text rather shows that no one is saved who does not believe the several creedal statements Paul mentions. In other words, if you do not believe in one God, the Father, and in his Son Jesus Christ, and that of the Father and through the Son are all things, then you are lost and need to be gained or saved. 

Can one be saved without believing these things about God? Hardshells say yes. They say many Pagans and Polytheists are born again and saved. They say one does not have to believe the truth of these things to be saved. But, many commentators affirm the same, inadvertently and unintentionally, when they affirm that the weak brothers are saved people who are not yet convinced that there is one God and one Savior Jesus Christ. 

No comments: