Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My Own Failures at Interpretation

"Who is as the wise man? and who knows the interpretation of a thing?" (Eccl. 8:1)

My failures at "interpretation" are not so much in interpreting Scripture, or historical records, or laws and statutes, but events, both in my life and in the world. I have often misinterpreted God's providence, or what he is doing in my life, or how he is answering prayer.

John Gill, commenting upon this verse, wrote:

"...this may be understood of the solution of any difficulties in things natural or civil; and of the interpretation of any of the works of God, either in nature or providence, as well as of his word...solve doubts, remove difficulties, interpret nature, the works and word of God."

This verse makes me think of this one:

"We see not our signs: there is no more any prophet: neither is there among us any that knoweth how long." (Psalm 74:9)

Events happen in our lives and they are signs, but often we don't properly "see," perceive, or interpret those signs. I could give many examples of this in my own personal life. You could too.

If God is at work in our lives, can we see it? Are we properly interpreting what he is doing and why? God help us!


No comments: