Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Except You Eat My Flesh and Drink My Blood

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him." (John 6: 53-56) 

This is another passage that deals with the application of the blood of Christ to a soul. 

Salvation is sometimes described as Christ being incorporated into a believer, and is sometimes described as the believer being incorporated into Christ. This is symbolized in the two ordinances of the Christian faith, in Baptism and in the Lord's Supper

In the typology of baptism, the sinner is pictured as being incorporated into Christ, but in the Supper Christ is pictured as being incorporated into the sinner

So, how is Christ incorporated into the sinner? It is by appropriating the sacrifice of Christ by believing in Christ and accepting his atonement. On this Dr. Gill wrote: 

"But the words design a spiritual eating of Christ by faith. To eat the flesh, and drink the blood of Christ, is to believe that Christ is come in the flesh, and is truly and really man; that his flesh is given for the life of his people, and his blood is shed for their sins, and this with some view and application to themselves...only such that believe in Christ are living souls...between these acts of faith, and eternal life, there is an inseparable connection." 

This is the old Baptist position and it is false for the Hardshells to claim that they are "Old Baptists" when they reject that position. (Taken from "The Gospel - The Means of Grace XVII" - see here)

My questions today for my Hardshell brothers are: 1) Explain how the unregenerate sinner eats the flesh of Christ and drinks his blood in order to have Christ in him; And, 2) If regeneration is a sub conscious experience, requiring no cognitive eating of Christ, then explain the words of Christ who made eating (action of the sinner) his flesh and drinking (action of the sinner) his blood to be a condition for obtaining union with Christ and spiritual life.

Is Jesus not referring to a gospel conversion experience when he speaks of eating his flesh and drinking his blood? Something that men do in their hearts and minds, that is, in their thoughts? And, this being so, does Jesus not make gospel conversion necessary for spiritual life?

No comments: