Friday, March 27, 2020

My PB Glasses


A few years ago Brother Stephen shared an article in which the author stated that in order to see things the Primitive Baptist way, you had to put on a certain pair of glasses.  I don’t know if this brother realizes just how true his statement was.  For the benefit of our readers, I thought I would share some of the “rules” I myself used to follow when I taught the regeneration and optional gospel conversion heresy.  This list is probably not exhaustive, but is probably the main ones I used to decode the scriptures so to speak. I think it pretty safe to say that this is how many of my former friends tend to think.

If a gospel command is given, presume the audience is “already regenerated”.

Whatsoever occurs after regeneration is unnecessary and therefore optional.

If a condition appears in a text where eternal salvation is under consideration, then make the condition a subconscious one.

If the condition cannot be made a subconscious one, then presume the salvation is of a temporal nature.

If a condition appears in a text where eternal salvation is under consideration, then presume there must be two kinds of that condition taught in scripture: one subconscious, necessary, and a gift received in the new birth, whereas the other is conscious, unnecessary, and earned by works after the new birth.

If a salvation text contains a verb where men are seen doing something to be saved, then presume the salvation is of a temporal nature.

*******

If you analyze these you will notice that each of them actually stem from a broader underlying, unbiblical premise, which is the idea that the subjective experience of salvation may be divorced from the objective fact of it.

I do not believe these anymore, thank the Lord.


No comments: