Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Bob Harrington Sermon

When I was a young teenager, staying with my friend Tommy Pendergrass (now pastor of Urbancrest Southern Baptist Church - see here), Tommy played me an album of a sermon by Bob Harrington, Baptist preacher who became known as "The Chaplain of Bourbon Street," and this would have been around 1970. Just recently I listened to a couple sermons by preacher Bob and his sermon titled "How I Know I'm Saved" (here) is worth recommending one to listen to. He was an evangelist and his style of preaching reflected that.

Harrington was also known for his debates/dialogues with famous atheist Madalyn Murray O'hair. You can hear their exchanges on Youtube (see here).

Here (here) is a video from the aged Harrington in 2011 telling some of his life story (part one). 

1 comment:

Ken Mann said...

Oh yes, I remember Bob Harrington preaching at my church in the early 70's when I was just a kid. I was probably around 8 or 9 years old. The church was packed, and they had to put chairs in aisles. Somebody must've called the fire dept, because the fire marshal showed up in the vestibule of the church and told a deacon that the aisles had to be cleared. Of course he was just doing his job. But at that moment, Bob Harrington said something in his sermon that caught the ear of the fire marshal, about how the church is called to be a spiritual fire dept, to pull souls out of the fire of the devil. Bob Harrington didnt even know the fire marshal was there. The fire marshall stood there and listened to the rest of the sermon and ended up getting saved!