Wednesday, October 19, 2022

The Church's Desolation

I used to sing and meditate upon this old hymn many years ago. Considering the state of most professing churches today, I find it appropriate to sing this song of lamentation. "Ichabod" means "the glory is departed." Of many churches the Lord may well say, as he did to the church at Sardis, "that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead." (Rev. 3: 1) Ichabod is written over so many churches today and though they profess to be spiritually alive, they are really dead.

Song - The Church's Desolation

Well may Thy servants mourn, my God,
The Church’s desolation;
The state of Zion calls aloud
For grief and lamentation.
Once she was all alive to Thee
And thousands were converted,
But now a sad reverse we see,
Her glory is departed.

And has religion left the Church
Without a trace behind her?
Where shall I go, where shall I search,
That I once more may find her?
Adieu, ye proud, ye light and gay,
I’ll seek the brokenhearted,
Who weep when they of Zion say,
Her glory is departed.

Some few, like good Elijah stand,
While thousands have revolted,
In earnest for the heav’nly land
They never yet have halted.
With such religion doth remain,
For they are not perverted;
Oh may they all through men regain

The glory that’s departed.

You can listen to it sung (hereherehere)

Some don't sing all the verses and all are sung sacred harp.

2 comments:

Ken Mann said...

Bro. Stephen, is this a hymn sung in PB churches? I know its in the Sacred Harp song book. If the PB's do sing it, do they not see the part that says "Once she was all alive to Thee
And thousands were converted"???

Stephen Garrett said...

Only a few churches sang it. When I first heard it, it deeply affected me. I used to quote it to the church when preaching. Of course, some PB churches do sing Sacred Harp. That song fits the history of the PBs.

Thanks for the comment. Blessings.

Stephen