Friday, April 20, 2018

My Best Refutation of Hardshellism

It is okay for one to feel good about his own efforts, isn't it?  Not for vain glory, but in the hope that they've been profitable to others, more or less?  From time to time I think about some of the articles I have written and wonder just how much of an impression they have made on others.  Needless to say, the majority of my articles have been focused on Hardshellism and my drift away from it. I suppose this is to be expected.  When one undergoes a revolution in life and thought (as I most certainly did), and those things are near and dear to your heart, it is only normal that they should feel impressed to tell someone else about it. Yet in all of my writings there is one in particular that stands out to me, that I think about frequently. It is in my opinion my best refutation of the heresy that I used to preach freely and boldly.  When I wrote it I was really hoping to see comments.  Or better yet, an attempt by the opposing party to refute what I wrote.

3 comments:

Stephen Garrett said...

Brother Kevin:

I know what you mean about reflection on the profitability of our labors with those in the Hardshell Baptist cult. Thankfully, we have won a few! But, I suspect that our efforts towards the PBs is having, and will continue to have, a positive effect. I am getting reports even now that more Hardshells are at least beginning to affirm that all the elect must and will be converted to Christ in their lives and that some are even affirming means in regeneration and new birth. But, it is sad to reflect on the lack of real discussion with the Hardshells, and on their retreat from engaging us. But, perhaps God will raise up men among them who will be able to take the banner and do more than we have. If we have helped these future reformers, then we have done our job. God help us to keep hammering away at the various Baptist heresies. God speed.

Stephen

Stephen Garrett said...

P.S.

Keep in mind that we look not for recognition and praise from men. Remember that Paul said in II Tim. 2: 15:

"Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth."

God's approval means more than man's. Let us labor for the precious few who will be converted to truth by our efforts. For then "great" will be our "reward in heaven."

Stephen

Anonymous said...

It is my honest wonder if Lordship Salvation Founder's Movement of the defected, Romanized Southern Baptist Convention defectors actually desire to be refuted. I have 80 or more gigabits of the Puritans, Strict and Particular Baptists, my forefathers the Waldensians, et al. They do not favor this conditionalist slant which is what caused the 1832 Split. In fact, this whole website is out of step with the Protestant writings also, because though they did make Marrow-like offers of grace, they did not preach a Jesuitic means to salvation.
I can about guarantee we Poor Men of Lyons or good godly Wycliff did not take the conditionalist Lordship Salvation view because they did not define justification like Rome as the gospel being a call to obedience and discipleship. This is as plain as day in Paragraph 422 of the popish Compendium of their abominable Catechism or the Sixth Session of the Trent Council, ninth Canon, Canons Concerning Justification.

I've twice revised my beliefs to conform to the Bible, once in leaving Pentecostalism after 21 years in its theosophic Babylonian clutches and again in departing from fundamentalism. Each came at the cost of total loss of all professing family and most supposed friends. It required a humility inexpressible in print which I pause to wonder if the main posters of this website possess, or if they have founded this blog to be garreolous.