Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Apocalypse of Jesus Christ

Garrett's Notes
Introduction

If I had to choose a favorite inspired book, I would choose the Book of Revelation. When I was a young bible student, however, I would have said the Book of James. It is, at least to me, if not in fact, the capstone of holy scripture. As Genesis is the Alpha of revelation, so Revelation is the Omega, the former dealing with beginnings and with origins, the latter with endings and culmination. In fact, as will be seen, Genesis and Revelation complement each other, and the latter cannot be comprehended without the former.

I came to appreciate the Book of Revelation, aka The Apocalypse, after I had left the "Primitive Baptist Church." As I look back and ponder this fact I am not surprised. Two things characterize the modern PBs and their behavior towards this inspired book: 1) a leave it alone attitude, and 2) gross misinterpretation. Perhaps I will be able to enlarge upon this in the future.

By way of introduction, I will cite J.A. Seiss, the well known author of "The Apocalypse" (as well as numerous other books), who wrote the following in his Preface to that work. (emphasis mine)

"THERE is a widespread prejudice against the study of the Apocalypse. Though it is the great prophetic Book of the New Testament, the last of all the writings of Inspiration, a special message from the ascended Saviour to His Churches on earth, and pressed upon every one’s attention with uncommon urgency, there are religious guides, sworn to teach “the whole counsel of God,” who make a merit of not understanding it, and of not wishing to occupy themselves with it." (see here)

I found "widespread prejudice" against both "study" and teaching of the Book of Revelation among the "Primitive Baptists" when I was with them. Their attitude towards it is guided by these principles or presuppositions:

1) What the "denominational world" teaches about the Book of Revelation (Premillenialism) is prejudged to be wrong, "Arminians" not being able to properly interpret it.

2) The Book of Revelation cannot be taken literally, but is a book of mysterious signs dealing with the fortunes of the church in this age, and each minister is allowed to offer opinions on each sign as long he stays within the bounds of Amillenialism and PB tradition.

3) This book should generally be left alone and only the aged ministers should be teaching from it. They truly "make a merit of not understanding it," and have an aversion to it, they "not wishing to occupy themselves with it."

The book of Revelation is the book that deals specifically with one main topic, the Apocalypse of Jesus Christ, or his second coming. This being so, what could possibly be of greater interest?

In the future I will be going through the book of Revelation, sharing my thoughts and notes. I hope it is of benefit to the Lord's people.

I believe that the book of Revelation upholds the Futurist school in regard to the fulfillment of its prophecies and that the Preterist and Historicist schools are serious errors. The prophecies of the book of Revelation are to be interpreted literally, though symbols are used. These propositions will become evident as we go through this wonderful book.

2 comments:

Henry Barrick said...

I left the premillenium interpretation behind a while back, but it sounds like you may be taking a sound approach. I am willing to re-study. Looking forward to the upcomimg posts. No black helicopter scorpions right?

Stephen Garrett said...

Thanks Henry!

I look forward to your comments as we present thoughts and notes on this fabulous book. Glad you are open minded. I wish more were.

Blessings,

Stephen