Friday, April 12, 2019

Hardshells & "Victory In Jesus"

"Victory in Jesus" was the final song E. M. Bartlett wrote (1939). The hymn also became his best known and most embraced song. Pbs sing this song much. But, do they believe what they sing?

Here are the original words of the song. Notice the several times the singer sings "I heard."

I heard an old, old story,
How a Savior came from glory,
How He gave His life on Calvary
To save a wretch like me;
I heard about His groaning,
Of His precious blood's atoning,
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory.

How did we hear this "old, old story"? Was it by the personal preaching of Jesus to us as some Hardshells have taught? Or, rather, was it from hearing from "preachers"?

Further, when did we "repent" and "won the victory"? Was it not after we believed what we heard and repented?

The Hardshells of today change the word "won" to "saw." But, this is a corruption.

Further, if the personal preaching of Jesus is what we heard, did Jesus tell us about all the things this song talks about?

Also, can one either see or win the victory without hearing (and believing) and repenting?

Chorus

O victory in Jesus,
My Savior, forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood;
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him,
He plunged me to victory,
Beneath the cleansing flood.

When did he plunge me to victory? What experience is this talking about? A subconscious experience? A non cognitive "regeneration"? Or, rather, a gospel conversion that results from hearing?

I heard about His healing,
Of His cleansing pow'r revealing.
How He made the lame to walk again
And caused the blind to see;
And then I cried, "Dear Jesus,
Come and heal my broken spirit,"
And somehow Jesus came and bro't
To me the victory.

How did you hear about his healing? Was it not in hearing the gospel news from a preacher? Further, can one be saved who did not cry "dear Jesus, come and heal my broken spirit"? Further, what victory came about as a result of this conversion? "Jesus came and bro't to me the victory."

I heard about a mansion
He has built for me in glory.
And I heard about the streets of gold
Beyond the crystal sea;
About the angels singing,
And the old redemption story,
And some sweet day I'll sing up there
The song of victory.

The song clearly teaches that it is through the gospel that sinners find victory in Jesus for their sins.

I ask my Hardshell brethren to either quit singing this song or agree with its sentiments.

No comments: