Thursday, May 7, 2020

Opportunities Missed?

"Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Eph 5: 15-16 niv)

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity." (Col. 4: 5 niv)

I have often thought about the many lost opportunities in my past when it comes to bearing witness to others about salvation. I am sad when I think of how I have often failed to witness when opportunity presented itself. I am sorry for those sins. Thankfully, I can also say that I have however "made the most" out of many of them. Let me give a few examples of the kind I have done over the years.

I recently saw my step grandson. He was a professing Christian who I suspected had wandered from the Lord. We talked about his muscular body and of his weightlifting. I said "your bodily health looks very good, how is your spiritual health?" And, "you are exercising your body, are your exercising your spirit in the things of God?" From there I got to say a few more things. We did not have much time to chat, and I knew that, yet I did not let that short time escape an opportunity to "speak a word in season" to one who needed a word from God.

I think of many other times in my life where I used a few minutes of time in my meetings with fellow citizens to give even a small hint of bible words.

Witnessing To Strangers 
in "Small Talk" or "chit chat"

Think of those many instances where you meet with strangers in every day life and where the meeting was brief and never repeated. You could be in a line waiting (could be for several minutes at least). You begin to chat with the people in line. You might begin with chat about anything and everything. But, at some point, you might look for opportunity to say something about the bible and what it says.

To a person who is a policeman I might say - "God is a policeman." So too is Jesus Christ.
To a person who is a physician I might say - "What a mighty physician is the Lord Jesus Christ."
To a person who is a manager I might say - "God is a great manager and he manages everything."

You get the point. There are just so many ways that we can be used by God to bring others to think, at least for a minute, about God and scripture.

Let us then repent and begin to take advantage of every opportunity to bear witness to everyone.

No comments: