Thursday, June 25, 2020

Did God Rest When He Saved You?

We know that when God created the world in six days that he rested on the seventh day. In other words, his work ended, or was finished, at the end of the sixth day.

Those who are saved are they who are a "new creation" as Paul said:

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation." (II Cor. 5: 17)

Question - did the Lord finish his work on me when he saved me? Or, is he still working on me? (As the hymn says "he's still working on me")

What answer would our Hardshell brothers give to this question? How important is a right answer?

I am sure that today's Hardshells (the bulk of them anyway) will deny that God is still working in creation upon them, and this is because they forsook the historic view of their forefathers in denying the sure and certain perseverance (which includes continuous sanctification, renewal, transformation, etc.) of the elect, and which doctrine necessitates that one believe that the work of conversion did not end, though it began, God's creative work in us.

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1: 6)

The Lord did not rest from his saving labors when he saved me almost 50 years ago, but, praise him, he is still recreating me into the image of Jesus. How about you? Is God still working on you? If he is, you will be found working on yourself too.

No comments: