Saturday, October 28, 2023

Is Your Theological House In Order?

"In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live." (Isa. 38: 1 kjv)

In my recent series on the afterlife I dealt much with interpreting what Paul means by believers building their doctrinal or theological house upon Christ (and the facts about him) as a foundation. (See here)

I think that elderly Christians who are at the end of life as Hezekiah should not only get their secular and family affairs "in order" but should get their doctrinal house in order too. The text I discussed was I Corinthians 3: 9-15 and we saw how Paul said that each Christian will be judged by what kind of theological house he or she has built. 

If we discover that something is amiss in our house of beliefs, in our own private systematic theology, we should seek to change it (repentance) before we are judged by the Lord. If we built with the wrong materials or built with faulty workmanship, we should stop and remove the bad material in our buildings before we are finished building, and redo our work the right way. We will be rewarded for doing so and lose reward for not doing so. I have had to alter my beliefs through the years and have a better building now, I believe, than ever before. I am also open to be corrected by any good spiritual building inspector. 

No comments: