Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Jesus Called Peter "Satan"?

"Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." (Mat 16: 22-23)

"But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men." (Mark 8: 33)

My own view of this question is to say that Jesus was not using "Satan" as the name of a person or being. "Satan" means "adversary" just as "devil" means "accuser." So, when Jesus said to Peter "get behind me Satan," he was saying "get behind me adversary." 

Every opposition to Christ and his will puts us into the category of "opponents" or "foes." But, Peter was saved, a man who was the "friend" of Christ, so how could he be his "Satan"? 

Satan, the fallen angel (Luke 10: 18), is the arch enemy of God and Christ. When any man opposes God he is putting himself in league with Satan, and imitating his rebellion. To the extent a person  "savours" (regards, sides with) the things of God, he is God's friend, but to the extent a person does not so savour it, he is God's enemy, or Satan. When we are in agreement with God in word and deed, then the Lord says "walk with me friend," but when we are opposing God, then the Lord says "get behind me enemy." 

The opposition of Peter resembled the opposition of Satan, the great enemy of God, and so Jesus saw in Peter's opposition a reminder of Satan's opposition.

1 comment:

Unknown Soldier said...


Help me not to murmur in my tent
Help me not to foolishly blame God
Help me not to ask why
Help me to walk by faith and not by sight



O           ^.^
 |< ° °          ^.^
/\     ° °                 ◦<o   ◦<o
                                  O\    O\

Matthew 4 [8] Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

Revelation 3 [17] Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    LOOk here, and don't look away!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

your favorite  Billionaires !

scratchwiththechickens@gmail.com
Well, touch my feathers
Seeking research funding


!