Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Again, I Am Befuddled

I have been writing for many years and have a voluminous amount of writings on many subjects and many texts of the bible. Writing is laborious. It is a calling. I work harder as a writer and researcher than when I was a pastor and concerned with the Sunday sermon. I write and research nearly every day. I share the results of my research with all who are led of the Lord to read of those results. I write a lot apologetically, defending a particular view, and opposing what I have deemed as erroneous. I do this not because I love debate, but rather because I love to share my thoughts and reasoning on biblical subjects. 

I do not think that my attack upon erroneous interpretations is wrangling. I try to avoid all logomachies and disputes over tertiary issues. What I am trying to do with erring brethren is to persuade them. I am also at the same time testing my interpretations. We are called of the Lord to "correct" those who are in error, especially about fundamental doctrine. Correcting is a delicate business. People don't like to be corrected. I used to often correct the grammar of others and I found most of them do not like it, although some don't mind at all, especially those who want to speak correctly. People don't like to be told that they are wrong. Many take a challenge to their ideas and interpretations as a personal attack. 

But, my writings are not only attacks upon heresies and cults, but are also defenses against attacks. Many of my writings are bible studies as in "My Daily Bread" (see link). Many are just plain teaching without an attack spirit or tone. I also write a lot on Baptist history and have had to correct historical errors of groups like the Hardshell Baptists.

What has often befuddled or perplexed me has been which articles have gotten the most attention and which have been scarcely noticed. Many that I thought would be popular were not, and vise versa. A lot of this has to do with my regular readers and their interests (Baptists and Believers in general). However, many popular articles are popular because of Internet readers from all sects and denominations. 

I am also somewhat puzzled by the lack of comments through the years (in all my blogs). This is true in spite of the number of page views. I would like to think that a lot of this is due to most either agreeing with what is written (and yet fail to leave a comment saying so) or don't know what to say, and yet others who may disagree but can't leave a refutation in the comment box. 

The number of page views for my blogs have grown over the years and all of them together now get about 10,000 page views per month. I wish it were more. But, this is not bad considering that I have no organizational support. 

My writings are my heritage, my legacy, my confession of faith. If God blesses them to help anyone to be edified by them, I give him the glory for it. 

I have always been willing to change my viewpoint if shown my error. I have had many debates, both orally and in writing. I have in fact changed my views over the years, and refined them in some other subjects. But, I have thought that other believers should have this same mindset, that they be willing to test their interpretations by bouncing them off other believers, to invite fair criticism. 

 Penny for your thoughts?

No comments: