Saturday, June 4, 2022

When I Survey

When I survey my writings (in the several blogs) I have come to some conclusions. 

First, I am fairly satisfied with what I have written. Having done lots of reading, especially in theology, I know what good writing is. It reminds me of that hard college course I took in "advanced composition." I compare my writings with those of others. I do not profess to be the best writer but I do not profess to being a novice either. I am satisfied with the content for the most part. I am also satisfied that I have generally written in correct grammar which is something that requires both knowledge and practice. 

Second, I am thankful for those who have read my writings and offered praise and criticism. 

Third, I wish I had acquired a larger audience. I have pondered on the reason for this, asking why some writings (books) have become popular while other good writings have not. Why did "A Purpose Driven Life" become popular? Why did Spurgeon's sermons and writings become popular? Why have other good writings not become popular? I am sure that some of the best writings by servants of God have become buried in oblivion, mostly because they were written by people who are not well known. Of these we may say that they are "unknown, and yet well known." (II Cor. 6:9)

Fourth, when I survey my writings against the Hardshell Baptists I have come to several conclusions. Let me enumerate some of them.

1. My writings on the history of the "Primitive" or "Old School" Baptists have shown that the overwhelming majority of such churches today are not "original" at all, and that what they now believe is not what their forefathers believed. I have shown historical proof for this conclusion. No Hardshell has come forward today with counter evidence to prove that I am wrong. I have shown how they have lied about their history, even distorting on purpose the writings of their forefathers. Elder Crouse did this in the early 20th century in regard to the beliefs of Elder John Clark and the Fulton Convention Hardshells did it in the year 1900 when they perverted the 1689 London Confession of faith. No Hardshell today has ventured to engage us on their history. Wonder why?

2. My writings against their errors on the question of means, from the scriptures, has also not been refuted. Wonder why none have come forward to defend their views and demonstrate where I have misinterpreted scripture? I have produced many texts of scripture that uproot their man made premises and propositions and yet none of them have come forward to refute them. Wonder why?

3. The only response I get from the Hardshells who do read my writings, with the exception of Jason Brown, is to make personal attacks against me. What does this say about them? Thankfully, however, there have been a few who have been helped by my writings and left the Hardshell cult and are happy about it. I only wish that more would come to see their errors.

4. I also conclude that I have done my duty to this cult by witnessing to them. When they stand before God they will be reminded of how they were warned by me and others. 

About my writings in general, when I survey them, I notice the variety of subjects I have written upon. If I published all these writings into books and pamphlets they would be many, very many. I am fairly well pleased with them and sometimes wonder why some have not been more popular. Some examples would be my series on Redemption, on the Weak Brothers, Predestination, Landmarkism, etc. They represent my legacy, my confession of faith. 

I know my remaining days are few, especially since I suffer from several maladies. But, I still feel a need to finish writing on several things. I have hundreds of draft writings. Will they ever get written? 

I thank God for brother Kevin Fralick who has been with me from the beginning of this "Old Baptist" blog and of the addition of brother Kenny Mann. I am also thankful for the support of others through the years, such as Elders Jeremy Sarber and Stephen Emmons. Sometimes when I have gotten discouraged these brothers have come forward with words of encouragement. 

3 comments:

Ken Mann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken Mann said...

My dear Brother Stephen, how I feel your pain! I too often wonder will I finish all that I want to finish before God calls me home? Did I have an affect on as many as I should have or could have for the cause of Christ? The answer of course is "no". There have always been missed opportunities, disobedience, even sin that hindered me from all that I should have done. BUT at the end of the day when I "survey" my life, it doesn't matter what I feel. All that matters is what I SEE. And what I see is God's hand, working in me and thru me. What I see is a sinner saved by grace, and even though I have failed many times, there are many victories. What I see is a church filled with people because of a bible study I taught 30 years ago, that I had no idea of its existence until recently. Is there more that I don't know about? What I see, is a former hardshell church who contacted me because of an article I wrote in YOUR blog, that is now on the road to resurrection of truth. That never would have happened without you. One man may reach thousands, but another man may reach only one, and then that one reaches thousands. "A prophet is always without honor in his own home" but not so in that heavenly home above. When we "survey" all that we have attempted to do, if the cross of Christ is there, then it is enough. I thank God for you my friend

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear brother:

You have the tongue of the learned in that you have given a word of encouragement to one who is weary. Isaiah 50: 4

God bless you!