Thursday, April 16, 2020

Dr. John Piper on Post Tribulation Coming

In a very recent sermon by Dr. John Piper titled "The Second Coming: Not Before the ‘Man of Lawlessness’" (here), John Piper gave a powerful defense of the Post Tribulation view of the rapture and return of the Lord Jesus Christ as held to by those espousing "Historic Premillenianlism" (rather than "Dispensationalism"). I was very much blessed to listen to his sound exegesis of II Thess. 2.

I wrote a series in favor of the Post Tribulation viewpoint many years ago, and in those series I overthrew the argumentation of those espousing a Pre-Tribulation view. The opening chapter is here. The other postings in that series are in the archives for The Baptist Gadfly for December 2012.

See also his sermon titled "What Is the Rapture?" (here)

2 comments:

Paul Jacobs said...

Stephen, I have been reading your Old Baptist blog for several yrs and do enjoy. I have been confronted with the "Rapture" question myself and the other day was talking to a Baptist who has being taken with the idea and I made a statement and now am question my own words. I notice you seem to referee to past Baptist confessions and writings of old Brothers from yrs past in lots of your defense of your position of subjects. I made the statement that the word "Rapture" was not used by any Old Baptist prior to 1970 could you help me confirm or deny this statement.

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Paul:

Thanks very much.

Have you read my series on this subject?

I think it was used prior to that date. Why would it not have been used? Certainly many preachers used it when preaching on the second coming and about what people believe about.

Blessings,

Stephen