Monday, August 8, 2022

Pursue Spiritual Gifts



"Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy."

1 Corinthians 14:1 

I am not a "strict cessationist" in regard to the spiritual (miraculous) gifts, which means that

1) I do not believe that God intended for those gifts to end in the first century
2) I allow that God may give these gifts to Christians at any time throughout the church age
3) I do not believe that the phrase "when that which is perfect is come" (I Cor. 13: 10) denotes the time when the bible was completed (with the writing of Revelation in A.D. 90-95)

I am a cessationist in that I acknowledge that these gifts have mostly ceased in the church. How we interpret the meaning of that fact is where I disagree with the strict cessation view which says that God gave them with the intention that they only characterize the church for the time period of A.D. 33-95. I think that view has little weight to it. It could be for other reasons that the gifts have ceased. Perhaps the church became corrupt or that she quit eagerly desiring them.

Observations

If God intended that all the miraculous gifts were to "cease" when the bible is completed with the book of Revelation, then Paul's words to the Corinthian brethren mean "pursue spiritual gifts until A.D. 95." This would have Paul saying "After the bible is completed, disregard this exhortation to eagerly desire spiritual gifts." He wrote this epistle around 53-54 A.D. so that would give about forty years for the time when God was giving people these gifts.

Yes, Paul says the miraculous gifts would "cease" at some point. "When that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." (I Cor. 13: 10)

It is laughable to read commentators who come to this passage with a pretext and presupposition. They come looking for a text that can be used to prove that such gifts are no longer available to the body of Christ. And, they do find where Paul says the miraculous gifts will "cease," and "vanish away," and they think that they have a proof text for their pretext. But, then the argument shifts to ascertaining the time "when" they shall end. Paul says "when that which is perfect is come" and so these interpreters say that "when" refers to the completing of the books of the new testament (i.e. A.D. 95). But, the context will not allow that interpretation.

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

To my mind, and the minds of theologians who do not come to the text with a presupposition, "that which is perfect is come" refers to the coming of the world to come, the time after the coming again of Christ, to the new heavens and new earth. That is when God's people will no longer be children (in thinking, speech, and overall growth) but full grown sons and daughters of Jehovah. It is then that they put away "childish things." It is then that the people of God will no longer "see through a glass darkly" but "see face to face," when they no longer "know in part" but know fully. These are eschatological, and are not intended to contrast people who were before A.D. 95 with those after that time. 

I do not believe that the miraculous gifts claimed by the "Pentecostals" are the real thing, but human counterfeits. Still, I don't discount that there have perhaps been a few individuals throughout the past two thousand years who have been given one or more of these gifts although having those gifts did not bring fame and notoriety to the one having the gift. 

I believe however that I am to desire spiritual gifts and I do pray that God would give me those gifts, especially the gift of prophesy (which is not limited, intended only to describe those who interpret and teach the scriptures, as some affirm), which involves foretelling the future work of God.

I also believe in what is called "the latter day rain" belief, which says that the early rain of the Spirit (with the miraculous gifts), or first Pentecost, occurred at the start of the church age, and that a latter day rain of the Spirit, with a restoration of the gifts, will occur at the end of the church age, especially in the days of the trials of the Apocalypse. 

So, I earnestly desire the gifts, of super faith, miracle working, healing, tongues, etc. But, especially to prophesy, for God to give revelation (not of new truth) concerning the immediate times with their peculiar trials. If we are in the tribulation and need guidance on where to flee, would to God he revealed such information to one chosen to be a prophet in regard to such things, and could tell them what they need to know. Agabus foretold of a coming famine and the disciples were forewarned and came to be prepared. (Acts 21: 10)

No comments: