Thursday, August 4, 2022

Thy Will Be Done On Earth

We are taught to pray "thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." This is prayed to the Father and the prayer takes for granted the belief that the Father could make it happen (that his will be done on earth) at any time he wants. If he cannot bring about a world on earth where his will is always done, then why pray to him to make it happen? But, how can God do that if he cannot change and control the will of his creatures? If they have a "free will" that God himself cannot force or determine, then how can he ever make it a fact that his will is done on earth as in heaven? The fact is, the will of creatures is not independent of God.

"Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain." (Psa. 76: 10)

"The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Prov. 21: 1)

3 comments:

Jason Brown said...

Brother Garrett, I see you’ve been reading Guillaume Bignon. It’s a very good argument he makes there against libertarians using the Lord’s Prayer as evidence against compatibilism. I highly recommend Guillaume’s published works.

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear brother Jason:

Good to hear from you. No, I have not read him. I never heard of him. If he said what I said then it just shows that the Holy Spirit is the teacher of us both, or maybe that "great minds think alike." lol I will check him out.

Stephen Garrett said...

I take that back. I did watch part of this video

Guillaume Bignon on Calvinism, Determinism, Libertarianism and More... at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZy5EVklcBA&t=274s

Of course, I agree with him on Determinism. I just could not recall his name.

Stephen