Saturday, August 19, 2023

Preaching, Praying & Singing But No Testifying?




I love it when churches give opportunity for a time of "testifying". This is generally done at the end of the preaching service and after the invitation or altar call has been given (which I also strongly believe in). Each person who wanted to could speak. Some would give thanks to God for saving them. Some would give witness to how God saved them. Some would shout. Some would cry. Some would confess. It was wonderful. It was sort of like a Quaker meeting where anyone has opportunity to speak. Some wonderful exhorting would often take place. Some sinners would come under deep conviction. The time for testifying sometimes would linger on and on and turn into times to go to the altar, or times to lay hands on someone, of time to pray for something or someone in particular. 

I just don't like "high churchism." My Baptist blood or DNA causes me to be repulsed by it. See my posting Can I Get An Amen? When I was a member of Crossroads Baptist Dr. Griffin would always say, during this time of testifying, "anyone else have anything he or she wants to say?" Paul said: "For ye may all prophesy (or speak) one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted." (I Cor. 14: 31)

Every Christian has a "testimony" and God calls upon us to share it with others. The apostle Paul said "For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience..." (II Cor. 1: 12)

Said Jesus to one from whom he had exorcised demons:

“Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.” (Mark 5: 19)

Can we give people the opportunity to tell their friends in the church what God has done for them? Yes, it must be regulated and not let it get out of hand. But, I have yet to have seen that happen. Most are aware of the words of the same apostle: "Let all things be done decently and in order." (I Cor. 14: 40)

1 comment:

Ken Mann said...

AH how well I remember those those times growing up, when the preacher didnt even get a chance to preach, because someone stood up to testify and the flood gates of the Spirit were opened! One after another, after another, would stand and testify of His goodness. I remember as a 6 year old when I didnt totally understand what "testifying" was when Sister Annie Lou Sinyard would stand up and testify waving her hanky, and I would cling to every word, and on the way home I asked my parents why didnt she "preach" more often lol.