Tuesday, February 23, 2021

A Condition Of Salvation

"The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." (Psa. 34: 18)

What soul cheering words are these! When I sometimes think that the Lord is far away from me, such words set me right in my thinking; for with a contrite spirit I am no stranger. I am often filled with remorse at my carnal condition, for evil thoughts and lusts, for moral failings, for foolishness and bad decisions, for falling short. I therefore know what it means to sigh and to regret, to know disappointment, to suffer failure, defeat, disillusionment, to have hopes and dreams dashed, to know a "broken heart." So, my thinking that the Lord is far away is corrected and I know that he is near, even when I cannot sense it keenly.

Also, if I doubt having experienced God's salvation, I should find renewed faith in the thought that God has promised to save those who have a "contrite spirit." From one perspective, that seems like an easy condition for salvation! On the other hand, it is impossible apart from God's grace and Spirit.  

Wrote Spurgeon:

"Broken hearts think God far away, when he is really most near them; their eyes are holden so that they see not their best friend. Indeed, he is with them, and in them, but they know it not. They run hither and thither, seeking peace in their own works, or in experiences, or in proposals and resolutions, whereas the Lord is nigh them, and the simple act of faith will reveal him. And saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. What a blessed token for good is a repentant, mourning heart! Just when the sinner condemns himself, the Lord graciously absolves him. If we chasten our own spirits the Lord will spare us. He never breaks with the rod of judgment those who are already sore with the rod of conviction. Salvation is linked with contrition." (Treasury of David - highlighting mine)

Amen! Spurgeon also said:

"The Lord is nigh unto them, etc. Consider the ADVANTAGES of this broken heart; as 
 
1. A broken heart is acceptable and well pleasing to God, "A broken and a contrite heart, O God thou wilt not despise." Psalms 51:17. 

2. It makes up many defects in your service and duties, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit." Psalms 51:17. 

3. It makes the soul a fit receptacle for God to dwell in, "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15. 

4. It brings God near to men, "The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart, and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." Psalms 34:18. 

5. And It lays you open to Christ's sweet healing, "I will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick." Ezekiel 34:16  And, oh, who would not be broken that they might find Christ's soft hand healing them, and find the proof of that sweet word, "For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the Lord." Jeremiah 30:17. Yea, 

6. It puts you in the right road to heaven, where all your wounds and bruises will be cured; for there is a tree (Revelation 22:2) the leaves whereof are for the healing of the nations; there is no complaining there of wounds or bruises, but all are perfectly healed. John Spalding, in "Synaxis Sacra, or a Collection of Sermons," etc., 1703."

 Again, amen!

Do I have a broken heart and contrite spirit as a result of seeing my sin and unworthiness? Then, let me take heart in the promise of Psalm 34: 18! He is near me! He promises to save me!

No comments: