Thursday, February 11, 2021

Is Your Theology Increasing?

"For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." (Col. 1: 9-10 NKJV)

The word "theology" means "science or knowledge of God."

A Christian should be daily increasing in the knowledge of God, which practically involves a knowledge of inspired scripture. I ought to know more about God now than I did when I was first saved about age 15. I not only ought to know more about "the knowledge of God" but should know him even more intimately now. 

Notice these words on the subject:

"Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD." (Jer. 9: 23-24 KJV)

Elderly Christians should have the best knowledge and understanding of God for they have been studying the knowledge of God for many years. Those who have spent the most time in study, meditation, contemplation of holy scripture, and thoughtful prayer, are they who have steadily "increased" in the "knowledge of God." 

Notice how the above text calls upon us to glory or rejoice in the fact that we have a good degree of knowledge of God. Such a truth makes me think of what one country preacher said: 'I don't know much about the ages of rocks but I know something about the rock of ages." 

I don't take any pride in earthly wisdom or knowledge of academic sciences. Likewise, I do not take pride in riches, or in how much money I have made in my life. But, I do rejoice that I have "increased" in the knowledge of God, in understanding theology, and in having a closer walk with God. God help us all to acquire a greater "knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding."

No comments: