Monday, February 8, 2021

Edifying Myself

"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church." (I Cor. 14: 4 kjv)

More and more I find myself spending time edifying myself rather than edifying others. Edifying others often takes more than ordinary effort. For instance, I can study a topic and rejoice in what I learn. That is a case of self edification. But, when I preach a sermon, or write a treatise, I am edifying others also. I see myself spending more time in my last years edifying myself, personally enjoying my walk with God, rather than expending efforts in edifying others in these ways.

Whoever sings hymns to God while alone edifies himself. Whoever is in deep meditation on the things of God edifies himself. Whoever enjoys communion with God and his presence edifies himself. Whoever speaks in tongues edifies himself. Nothing wrong with edifying oneself in the Lord. I would that more practiced it. In fact, a man who is not edifying himself, as thus explained, is not equipped to edify others.

Proposition: Everyone who has edified the church has first edified himself.

Opportunities to edify others become less as one grows old and feeble. It takes labor to communicate to others for their edification. As long as I am able, I will labor in speaking or writing, or otherwise seek to edify others in the faith. 

"And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you." (Paul in Cor. 12: 15)

No comments: