Wednesday, September 22, 2021

D. L. Moody on the Doctrine of Election




The above is a chart of D. L. Moody on the Doctrine of Election and Whosoever Will. I always liked this chart. Moody said:

"Do not stumble at the doctrine of election. Preach the gospel to all, and (as some one has said) if you convert any one who was not 'chosen,' God will forgive you."1 "The elect" are the "whosoever will's": the "non-elect" are the "whosoever wont's".2" (See here)

1 D. L. Moody, Notes from My Bible, p. 167. 

 2 D. L. Moody, Notes from My Bible, p. 108. 

People are often fearful of the doctrine of unconditional election, thinking that it means that they might be non elect and have no opportunity for salvation. But, this is not the impression we wish to leave with people when we speak of God choosing men to salvation before the world began. All we want is for men to give all the credit to God for their salvation. 

The doctrine of election answers the question "why did I believe and repent and another did not?" Is it owing to my independent choice, because I chose right while the other chose not? Or, is it because God had a special love for me and gave me special grace, above "common grace"? Should I credit God for my faith and repentance or credit myself? 

No comments: