Monday, January 16, 2023

Dr. Bass on Interpreting Providence

Dr. Jeremiah Bass, lead pastor and elder at Cincinnati Primitive Baptist Church, in his daily blog (at the church's web page - here), wrote these words under blog entry titled "Faith Seeks Understanding":

"...we can so easily misinterpret and misunderstand God's dealings with us in providence and his instruction to us in Scripture when we don't come to them with faith in him."  

This reminds me of what I wrote not long ago in a posting titled "My Own Failures at Interpretation" (here). In that posting I wrote these words:

Who is as the wise man? and who knows the interpretation of a thing?" (Eccl. 8:1)

My failures at "interpretation" are not so much in interpreting Scripture, or historical records, or laws and statutes, but events, both in my life and in the world. I have often misinterpreted God's providence, or what he is doing in my life, or how he is answering prayer.

John Gill, commenting upon this verse, wrote:

"...this may be understood of the solution of any difficulties in things natural or civil; and of the interpretation of any of the works of God, either in nature or providence, as well as of his word...solve doubts, remove difficulties, interpret nature, the works and word of God."

Events happen in our lives and they are signs, but often we don't properly "see," perceive, or interpret those signs. I could give many examples of this in my own personal life. You could too.

If God is at work in our lives, can we see it? Are we properly interpreting what he is doing and why? God help us!


Oh how many times have I misinterpreted God's providence as things were happening in my life! Yes, I got a few things right, but many more wrong. I can also say that I misinterpreted scripture when I was a Hardshell Baptist. I hope that I can do better in both in coming days. Of course, I think understanding the bible correctly in its statements and narratives has been much easier than understanding God's day to day purpose in my unique trials. 

The bible tells me a lot about why things happen the way they do. But, it speaks in generalities, and not directly to my personal present trials. As far as my personal trials are concerned (which are specifically ordained of God for me - I Thess. 3:3), I have often queried in my mind - "why is this happening?" Or, "what is God doing?" Or, "what is God's purpose in this?" Or, "is this a disciplinary thing?" Or, "did you open that door for me (give me this opportunity)?" Or, "is this of the Devil?" Or, "is this a test? Is God testing me?" 

Yes, elder Bass is right about how easy it is to "misinterpret and misunderstand God's dealings with us in providence." 

Questions For Further Meditation

1. So, how related is bible interpretation to interpretation of providence? Can one be better at one than the other? Will good bible understanding bring good understanding of providence?

2. Since the gift of prophecy (which prophets have of God) involves properly interpreting present and past events (as well as foretelling future events), and since we are to all pray for the gift of prophecy (I Cor. 14: 1), should we not be praying for greater understanding of providence (ongoing events of the day)?

3. How can we discern "the hand of God" in events? 

No comments: