Friday, January 11, 2019

Broken Promises - Still Waiting

In the comment section to my posting Hardshells Lose Another Again Elder David Montgomery, who I have critiqued before in this blog, and who use to have a leading PB web page, made a promise to send me information that I had requested of him a few years before this posting. In my comment I wrote this to Montgomery:

"Do you remember that I asked you to send me historical proof that the present views of the Hardshells on salvation were the views of your Baptist forefathers? Why did you not send me that information?"

In his comment he replied by saying:

"No I don't remember you asking me for that but I will do so. I am sure you will disagree but that's ok."

Well, it has been six months since this promise was made and I have not as yet received the historical proof that the Hardshell no means view was the view of his Baptist ancestors prior to the rise of the Hardshells in the 19th century and that it was the view of the founding fathers of the PB denomination. What does this say?

I challenged father years ago to give me the historical evidence that the ancestors of the Hardshell churches believed in the no means view. He said he could give it to me but never did. What does that say?

A year or so ago I was on the telephone with a Hardshell preacher and we were talking about the Puritans. He told me that the Puritans held to the same views as the PBs on no means regeneration or new birth. I told him that I would love to see that evidence. He said he would send me that information, but I never got it.

Now, I could multiply examples. But, what does all this show? It shows that they have no proof that any of their ancestors held to their aberrant views on effectual calling. They are anything but "primitive," "old school," or "original" on this point of doctrine. They are only deceiving themselves to think that "the old church has always believed this way."

1 comment:

Henry Barrick said...

Why only go back to the old school? Go all the way back to the original school. Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.