Thursday, June 27, 2019

Research At Duke University

For many years I have been trying to locate copies of "Zion's Advocate" that was started by Elder John Clark of Front Royal, Virginia. I have been hoping that the old issues (1854-1882 when Clark was alive and editor) would be made available by Google Books or some other entity. They have not. Over the years I have found that some of these volumes were at various seminary libraries, but they had but a few of them. SBTS and Southeastern have a few. But, Duke has most all of them! I have these old volumes set aside by the Duke library for me to come and read and copy. I plan to do this on Monday. It is about a 2-3 hour drive to Durham and I expect to be there all day. At last! I get to read all those old issues for that time period. What do I expect to find? More historical evidence to uphold the things we have asserted here in relation to Clark and the Old Baptists regarding means in the new birth, predestination, and on the perseverance of the saints.

Pray for us. I am sure we will have a lot to share with our readers in the future on what is contained in those volumes!

Question: Why have Hardshells not preserved these volumes under Clark's editorship? Was it not because they wanted that information "buried in oblivion"?

I also plan to complete my series on Redemption, on the Bema, and on ordination practices.

1 comment:

Kevin Fralick said...

Wonderful! That is so exciting. Have a safe trip and enjoy it.