Sunday, June 30, 2019

Garrett Was A Young "Firebrand"?

Growing older does strange things to one's memory. I have remembered several times over the years the following words of brother Jason Brown to me back at the beginning of our discussion.

Brown wrote:

"Sometimes an abrasive approach incites controversy where the issues broached are not the real or only cause of division. Did Brother Garrett, while among the Primitive Baptists, approach these issues with humility and patience? Or was he as much as a firebrand then as he appears to be on his blog now? As a young Elder among the PB's in the early 80's, did Elder Stephen Garrett intreat the older Elders with the same respect he would his father, as the Scripture commands? I wonder how much of his difficulties were personality rather than doctrine. I appreciate and admire Brother Garrett's intellect and knowledge and I read his blog with interest even where we disagree. I am not arguing ad hominem against Brother Garrett's views here - I'm simply suggesting that Brother Garrett could have been more fruitful with patience. It takes wine time to ferment."

(Pot Calling The Kettle Black?)

Abrasive Approach?

Was I abnormally "abrasive" when I was a young Hardshell elder? Am I now?

That seems to have been the "gossip" or rumor that has been spread about me by the Hardshell eldership, especially since my having left the cult and since combating their numerous errors.

Further, though the Hardshells will likely admit that not all "abrasiveness" in speech and personality ("approach") is unwarranted or bad, yet in this instance it is viewed by Brown as a negative (which it generally is) as it relates to my years with the Hardshells as a twice ordained elder. It is further alleged that I am still "abrasive" in my "approach" towards the Hardshells. It seems that the implication of this is that I would do better apologetically to be gentle and smooth in my "approach" towards the Hardshells.

What is the antonym of "abrasive"? Agreeable? Smooth? Was I never the latter? If I was abrasive at times, and smooth at other times, was I abrasive when I should have been gentle and smooth, and gentle when I should have been abrasive? Is it okay for arresting officers to be abrasive with those resisting arrest or guards with prisoners? Is it okay to be abrasive with abrasive people, a kind of feeding them out of their own spoon, or answering a fool "according to his folly"? Is it okay to be abrasive with stubborn heretics who seek to turn away people from the faith? See my posting Rebuke Them Sharply where I discuss dealing with stubborn heretics.

Of course, there are several judges of this question regarding abrasiveness. God, first. Myself next (I must stand before the judgment seat of Christ to give account of what I have done as a servant and steward). Finally others (particularly among the saints) with whom I converse and associate are my judges. I wrote something on this awhile back in the posting Cockleburs Gadflies & Rubbing The Wrong Way.

I do judge myself and I pay attention to criticism. "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged." (I Cor. 11:31) I also consider Paul's words as applicable to my being judged by the Hardshells. "But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self." (I Cor. 4:3)

In my response to Brown way back then I said this:

"If Brown will read the chapter on my experiences with the Hardshells he ought to see that it was men like John Robbins and C. M. Mills who were the truly "abrasive" types!"  

I was a little abrasive when I attended a deacon ordination service at Pleasant Grove PB Church (Bear Creek) back at the time when the "controversy" with my father over the origin and fall of Satan and the non elect angels was hot here in the Bear Creek Association. This controversy was not started by father, but was started by John Robbins and the Powell's Valley Association making father's view (and mine) a "test of fellowship." John's cohorts, two of which were virtual popes among a large segment of Hardshells, elders Clarence Mills (Bear Creek) and Wiley Sammons (Tenn.), were determined to force all other churches to follow them in their declaration against the view that Satan fell from "the third heaven." Mills and his young sycophants in the Bear Creek were determined to force this issue in the Bear Creek and to make it (and the view that the story of the rich man and Lazarus was literal and told of what happens to people when they die) a test of fellowship.

On the way to the ordinations service, I road in the car with two of my fathers in the ministry, my father in law elder Newell Helms and elder Charles Smith. Both did not believe that these things should be a test of fellowship and they were opposed, as I was, to asking such questions in ordination services by those pushing the edict of the Powell's Valley Association on the issue. We all three agreed that if a question was asked about Satan's fall or the right interpretation of the rich man and Lazarus that we all would then stand up and oppose such questioning and for making the issue a test of orthodoxy. Well, the time came for the questioning. Guess which questions were asked right out of the gate? Bingo!

Well, I looked at Charles and Newell, giving them opportunity to speak first (I being younger), and all they did was shake their heads in disgust. They never rose to say a word! Oh what a disappointment! They showed that they were cowards and that their positions in the Association was more important! I could not go silent! I rose and said that I objected to the line of questioning and the purpose behind it (which was to force the issue on the churches). I asked "What has the correct interpretation of these two topics or scriptures anything to do with whether the ones being ordained as deacons are qualified?"

""Humility and patience"?  Are those characteristics of the Hardshells?  Anyone who reads the lambastic words of the Hardshells, over the past two hundred years, can see that this is a case of "the pot calling the kettle black."  Anyone who knows their history knows that the Hardshells are of a very schismatic spirit and extremely abrasive." 

"I could have manifested "more patience"?  I was very patient!  Letting popes like John Robbins and C. M. Mills run roughshod over me.  Men like Elders Benton and McLamb insisted that I agree with them on the rich man and Lazarus in order to be ordained?  I put up with a lot of abuse from the Hardshells for many years and exercised lots of patience."  

"I am supposed to show love, patience, and humility towards Hardshells but what about their lack of showing such to me?  Why does that not get mentioned?  I could give numerous examples of the evil spirit that many Hardshells have manifested to both my father and myself.  Were the Hardshells who made the origin of Satan a test of fellowship operating from a meek and patient spirit?  Were those Hardshells who wanted to declare non-fellowship against any who believed that the story of the rich man and Lazarus taught what happens when people die operating from a spirit of humility and patience?"  

Elders who were my counselors (tutors) while a young Hardshell preacher in "boot camp."

Bear Creek

Newell Helms
Charles Smith

Other

Eddie Garrett Sr. (father)
Sonny Pyles
Norvel Mann
Milton Lillard
Paul Trautner
Lasserre Bradley Jr.
Rice Bolender
E.B. Watts
Cecil Darity
Conrad Jarrell
S.T. Tolley

I have memories of all the teaching and counsel I received from these men. Could write a book about that too. "Of the making of books there is no end."

P.S. I wrote most of this post a few months ago and it has been in draft. But, having just made the posting about PB Marines, Green Berets, and Boot Camp, I thought I would publish it now on its heels.

P.S. You want a good example of a Hardshell "firebrand" who became a popular leader among the Hardshells? Lee Hanks! Such fiery denunciations from this firebrand!

P.S. If we are appearing before the Bema now, then let us have a trial on Hardshell beliefs! If the saints are to do the judging, let us present our cases!

No comments: