Saturday, July 13, 2019

Experiences In PB "Boot Camp"

I had some people in the Bear Creek Association that did not care much for me as a young preacher. This was in large part to my being the son of Elder Eddie Garrett Sr., who had been given the cold shoulder by the Bear Creek (though he was once a regular filler of appointments in it) after he came out denying the "eternal devil doctrine" of the Powell's Valley Two Seeders and affirming the fall of Satan and angels from heaven. I was preaching at Union Grove once and a couple got up and walked out. How is that for a "boot camp" experience? Some of the brothers went to this couple and privately told them of their wrong. Still, it was one of several such little difficulties in boot camp.

Another time when at Union Grove preaching I quoted the kjv "the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet." Someone approached the pastor, Newell Helms (my ex father in law), and questioned him about my cussing in the pulpit! I said "dumb ass"! I said to Newell - "that is what the text says." He replied - "I know." What did this experience show? It showed how ignorant of the bible are many of the PBs. Ironically, this church was one that changed her articles of faith to say that only the kjv was inspired!

Another time I was told by Newell (I think) that some folks went to Elder Mills (senior pastor at Union Grove at the time) and spoke of how anxious I seemed to be to preach, and they said to Mills - "he is going to preach or bust." Mills responded and said - "let him bust." Now, I have thought about this boot camp experience many times.

I think I said to Newell (we were very close friends) - "was not that the experience of Jeremiah who found that he could not quit preaching (though he tried) and said that the reason was that the word was in him like fire and he could not keep quiet?"

What is wrong with a young minister who has been called to preach being ready and anxious to tell others about the gospel? Now, I never was so anxious to preach or to teach that I pushed myself to preach ahead of others (though this was never really possible any way). But, when called upon, I tried to be ready. Oftentimes I came to church after days and weeks of bible study and had messages to deliver, excited about what I had learned, and desiring to share it. What was wrong with that?

Did I "bust"? What did that even mean, I have often queried.

Perhaps in the future I may recount some other PB "boot camp" experiences. By the way, this is not gossip. It is what actually happened. Further, I mention it because it reveals things about the Hardshell cult and their aberrant teachings and spirit.

What think ye?

No comments: