Thursday, July 18, 2019

I'd Rather Be An Old Time Christian

In this world I've tried most ev'rything,
And I'm happy now to say,
There is nothing like religion
In the good old-fashioned way;
I am walking in the old-time way,
And I want the world to know,
That I'd rather be an old-time Christian (Lord),
Than anything I know.

Chorus

I'd rather be an old-time Christian (Lord)
Than anything I know,
There's nothing like an old-time Christian,
With a Christian love to show;
I'm walking in the grand old highway, 
And I'm telling ev'rywhere I go, 
That I'd rather be an old-time Christian (Lord) 
Than anything I know.

There are many things I'd like to be
As my journey I pursue,
I have longed to be a leader
Like a mortal man would do;
I would like to be a millionaire,
With a million to bestow,
But I'd rather be an old-time Christian (Lord)
Than anything I know.

Chorus

All the world is bright since I got right, 
Now I sing and pray and shout, 
All my burdens have been lifted, 
Since the Savior bro't me out;
I will tell the world both far and near,
As I travel here below,
That I'd rather be an old-time Christian (Lord)
Than anything I know.

Sung by the Kingsman Quartet (here)
Sung by the Gaither Quartet (here)
Sung by the Chuckwagon Gang (see here)

I like this bluegrass string band rendition (here)

Now Here Are Some More Good Songs!

From Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver

(one of my favorite groups for many years)

"I'm A Weary Pilgrim" (see here - I love it!)
"Press On 'O Pilgrim, There Is Joy Ahead" (see here)
"Calling To That Other Shore" (see here)
"Up Above The World So High" (see here)
"Calm The Storm" (see here)
"We'll Sing In Gloryland" (see here - a old favorite of mine)
"When Life Is Over" (see here - another old favorite)
"When We Meet To Part No More" (see here)

Rejoice in the Lord! Be jubilant! It is all well with the righteous!

Psallo On!

God inhabits the praises of his people!

I'm A Weary Pilgrim

As I journey onward seeing all around me
All the pain and struggles of this life
I am looking upward to the Lord above me
He's my guide, comfort in pain and strife

Chorus

I'm just (just) a weary pilgrim (weary pilgrim)
Anybody know this glad journey home
Waiting for the dawn when this earthly life is gone
I shall see my Savior on his throne

All my daily struggles and my daily troubles
I accept as payment to the Lord
He's the greatest giver I am the receiver
And eternal life is my reward

Repeat chorus

No comments: