Thursday, February 10, 2022

"I Believe God"



"But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss. And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship. For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me." (Acts 27: 21-25)

What an example is the apostle Paul in the strength of his faith and his confidence in God and his word. God, through his angel, assured Paul that there would be no loss of life though the ship be wrecked. When Paul hears those prophetic words he knows without a doubt that what God said would happen would indeed happen. This is what he said to those on the boat - "I believe God and believe the prophecy." Oh that we had this kind of faith! Said Paul:

"For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe." (I Tim. 4: 10)

We trust in the living God, the Savior and Preserver of all men, the Almighty, the all wise and knowing. "Trust" is from the Greek word "elpizo" and means to trust or to hope. In the same epistle he spoke of those who have "trusted in God" (I Tim. 5: 5). In Hebrews 11: 1 and the words "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for" (Heb. 11: 1), "hope" (elpizo) means "things trusted in." It speaks of things relied upon, things confided in, the source of assurance. 

Friends, let us trust God with all our heart and believe that what he says will be, will be. God always keeps his word, and his promises. He can be counted upon to do all that he said he would do. This kind of faith will bring peace and contentment, and a sense of security. It says "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, FOR YOU ARE WITH ME." (Psa. 23)

No comments: