Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Another's Hardshell Experience

The following article has been sent to us by Ryan La Fleur from Louisiana. Ryan and I spoke by telephone recently for about an hour about his experiences with the Hardshell cult and I asked him to write some articles for us. So, with that in mind, here is the article by Ryan. If you would like to communicate with Ryan, you can leave a comment here or write to him at rlafleur640@gmail.com

Greetings to all in the Lord Jesus Christ’s name. While I never was involved with a so-called Primitive Baptist congregation, I was involved with them for several years following my departure from Baptist fundamentalism. The Hardshellers may point to say, “Ah, this is proof he is just lying.” Nevertheless, as evidence of the cultic nature of the Hardshell camp, none of the Louisiana churches so much as answered an email, had a functional phone number or even attempted to make contact after asking other elders to speak to them on my behalf. Though my assistance at the time of the 2016 flooding in Baton Rouge was welcomed, I was promptly told (again, all through another elder who had attempted to launch contact between myself as that assembly) it was unnecessary

The Hardshell network has weaved a dishonest tale concerning church history of both Baptists as well as other Protestant denominations, which is particularly geared to make Baptists think they are the true, apostolic church. If it was not for their already isolationist nature, this would begin to deceive more souls. What is more, while mine was not a negative experience by any means; an unnamed elder was actually generous enough to purchase me a laptop as well as a replacement when the former machine failed; I became suspicious of the Old Baptist church’s claims, doctrine as well as many divisions. The elders with which I cheifly associated were Vernon Johnson of Denton, Texas, Benjamin Winslett of Alabama, Keith Ellis, formerly of Amarillo PBC prior to its disbanding in or around 2016 where I was invited to become an out-of-town member as well as Jeff Winfrey. The latter was kind to send a pre-publication PDF copy of his work What Do Primitive Baptists Believe? with the request of my critique which I gave at that time. Of all these elders I can raise no complaint, neither against Rick Rairdon; they were Christian gentlemen in their conduct toward me. While no longer a Baptist, having returned to our familial Presbyterianism, it was the numerous contradictions in Hardshell theology which ultimately flung me into a valley of decision; as in the past with other denominations or cults, the scripture carried the day in the face of the Hardshell deceptions, especially a dishonest view of church history with noticeable Landmarkist bends. Now, I am a happy member of the Presbyterian Church in America.

Against the Hardsheller camps I bear no grudges, nor would I consider each of them aliens to the commonwealth of Israel; scores of them seem to be as I was, a disgruntled former evangelical seeking escape from the apostasy of the charismatic-evangelical movement in a non-evangelical yet seemingly conservative Baptist church. However, with the odd admixture of Pelagianism, KJV Onlyism, Antinomianism especially with their view of eternal justification, quasi-universalism in addition to Campbellite teachings, it is a wonder how any, their clergy particularly, might be justified; it is my estimation those which are have come in contact with gospel preaching apart from the Hardshell orders. It is my sincere hope this blog will cause Hardshellers to have a sincere pondering of their cultic theology and practices, which might bring forth sweet fruits of repentance to eternal life. My articles will serve to contrast the Hardshell doctrines against those of other cults, as well as the interesting similarities to Pentecostalism from the standpoint of one formerly affiliated within the Gospel Standard Baptists; the chagrin of the Harsheller types aside, the Gospel Standard does not teach the odd teachings found in what they proport to be their English counterparts.


Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, {be} glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen, Jude 24-5.

No comments: