Wednesday, April 14, 2021

On Homiletics

I have listened to a lot of preaching over the past 50 years or so, especially among Baptists. I have also done a good bit of preaching myself. I also have studied it. When I was a young minister I read a good bit of Baptist preacher John A. Broadus's Treatise "On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons," it being a classic work in the field of homiletics. I have also written much on the peculiar preaching style of many of the old "Primitive" and "Regular" Baptist preachers, of the sing song or chanting style. I have criticized the Stoical and professorial preaching of many, including many younger Pb ministers who want to get away from preaching with a sing song fashion or with emotion. It seems to me a case of going from one extreme to another. In any case, I think I have something to say about preaching delivery and style. I have criticized the inspiration view of many Two Seed and Hardshell Baptists relative to their preaching in the spirit.

Since the invention of radio and television, and Internet video posting, etc., a person can listen to a lot of preachers. Now, I do have some criteria for initially deciding who to listen to, and who not. I generally do not listen to women preachers, although I have listened to some bible teaching lessons given by women (some very good). I also do not generally listen to certain cult and sect teachers, such as Mormons, Catholics, Pentecostals. I listen mostly to Baptist teachers and preachers, especially in these days of old age.

Let me tell you who I think has had the best delivery style of modern ministers (both of whose style seem very close to what I imagine characterized Spurgeon, the "prince of preachers"). They are Adrian Rogers and Jerry Falwell (both now deceased). These men delivered well structured and learned discourses but also spoke with emotion and with some good pace and always kept their hearers attention. They were not Stoical! I even liked the preaching of old preachers like B.R. Laken. Yes, I know, these men were not five point Calvinists, and often attacked the beliefs of five pointers, but hey, I am talking about their preaching styles. Also, they preached a lot of messages Calvinists would enjoy. I did and still do.

I would encourage our young Baptist preachers to mimic these men in delivering sermons. Of course, delivering sermons and lessons must be preceded by "preparation," and of that aspect I have said nothing, focusing rather upon the manner of communication. 

I also do not mind ministers using notes, but they should be a general outline, and used for giving direct citations, and should not be relied upon. They should be helps not crutches. There should be room for extempore and direct address speaking within the framework or outline of the discourse. A preacher should keep as much eye contact as possible with his audience and too much looking at notes can be a distraction. What think ye?  

P.S. I think the best non Baptist preachers I have listened to over the years are John Hagee and D. James Kennedy, the former a Pentecostal (still active) and the latter Presbyterian (deceased). They had slightly different styles, Hagee showing greater emotion.

No comments: