Thursday, April 15, 2021

Study Greek? Yes, but

I am glad that more and more of our Pb brothers are studying Greek (and perhaps even Hebrew). Generally only a small minority of them have done so. Elder Zach Guess says he studied it for several years in college and says it was a great help to him. I notice that Elder Jeremiah Bass too has learned the language and I can see how it has helped him in his teaching the word. That is good. It really doesn't take that long an investment in time to learn basic Greek. In fact, that is really all a good bible teacher really needs. He does not have to become an expert in Greek. Most seminarians are taught enough Greek to do serious bible study, and to understand the issues debated by NT and Koine Greek experts. That is where I am. Do I wish I had studied more Greek, and Hebrew? Yes. But, I know enough to help me in my bible studies. What is more important than this is understanding basic grammar. In fact, one cannot really learn a foreign language if one does not understand basic grammar. Knowing the basics of English grammar should be mastered before tackling Greek grammar. If one masters his own native language's grammar, he will be better equipped to learn another language.

No comments: