Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Tidbits Of Hardshell History

The following are some historical tidbits of information that deserve memorializing, especially for future historians.

Tidbit #1

Did you know that Elder W. P. Throgmorton, who debated two famous Hardshell debaters, Lemuel Potter and John R. Daily (as many Hardshell cult leaders know, for these debates have been popularly received and recommended, being reprinted by the cult brotherhood several times), also had several other debates with Hardshell leaders? I have read one of the Potter debates and the Daily debate, even have those in my library. But, of the others, I have never seen, though perhaps I will, as an historian, find them somewhere in the future (if they were ever written down and published).

Throgmorton's Hardshell Debates

1. Lemuel Potter (2) (Note: I did not know Potter had two debates. I thought the one I have was the only one)

2. T. S. Dalton (Note: I did not know of this debate. I don't have the date it occurred which would be important as Dalton first believed in gospel means and then changed to anti means)

3. S. F. Cayce (2) (Note: I never knew of these debates. Why were these not kept in print by the Hardshells as the Potter and Daily debates have been? Could it be that Cayce failed miserably? I suspect so)

4. John R. Daily (Note: I have read this debate several times, and though I agree with Daily on the Atonement question, I agreed with Throgmorton on means and the conditions of salvation)

5. J. B. Denton (Note: I think the source for this information means J.C. Denton who I have cited before, see here)

Tidbit #2

1. The periodical "Herald of Truth," mentioned by Elder John Watson in his book "The Old Baptist Test," was not only supported by him shortly before his death, but first edited by Elder R. W. Fain, a fellow doctor with Watson, who completed the above book, wrote its preface, and edited the "Herald of Truth," which seems to have been begun in the late 1850s, continued after the Civil War, taken over by elder Dalton after Fain's death, and later merged it with the Hardshell periodical "Zion's Advocate." 

2. When searching for copies of this old periodical I found that there were three periodicals by that name. One is a 19th century Mennonite periodical. The other is connected with the "Church of Christ" denomination in the 20th century. Finally, there is the Hardshell periodical. Further, I have not been able to see any issues for the Hardshell Herald of Truth. Oddly, one can find the others very easy! Southern Baptist Historical Library in Nashville has a few early issues that I am trying to get copies.

No comments: