Friday, April 9, 2021

Hardshell Dreams

In my travels among the Pbs in the 70s and early 80s I met several Hardshells who put a lot of stock in their dreams. One deacon even used it in a church conference when I was a Pb pastor, giving it as evidence that what was preached was dog meat. 

I met others who would tell their dreams, often as it related to their conversions. Others believed that one could come to faith in Christ while asleep!

Some preachers even related how they received their "call" to preach while in a dream. 

Further, in my numerous readings of 19th century Hardshell literature and published correspondence, I noticed how it was very frequent in that century for Hardshells to tell their dreams.  

Here is what one Hardshell of the present day said in reply to a Campbellite minister (highlighting mine):

"The Primitive Baptist believe in Spiritual dreams and visions and they believe that the Holy Spirit speaks to them in a small still voice as taught in the Scripture. I myself have been taught by the Holy Spirit in Spiritual dreams, Visions, and a small still voice. The Primitive Baptist believe that God hears and answers prayer today as he did in the first century." (See on page 10 of the e-book here)

This belief about dreams is not as prevalent today among the less "back woodsy" churches, but it is still no doubt believed by a few.

I recall more than once cautioning those who spoke of their dreams, and the interpretation of them, to not put them in place of the plain word of God. What think ye?

No comments: