Wednesday, December 8, 2021

I Try My Best To Do So




"Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how you ought to answer every man." (Col. 4: 6)

"Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you." (Titus 2: 8)

"Sound speech" may be translated as "healthy discourse." 

In my writings and in my public oral debates I have tried to follow the instructions of the apostle as expressed in the above texts. I have always desired nothing but sober and healthy discussion and discourse. I have tried to be careful in my words so as to speak with grace, to have seasoned speech, to speak in a manner that makes criticism and condemnation difficult for adversaries. I have always promoted and desired nothing but sober discourse and conversation. Calm reasoned discussion among men of learning is profitable, but logomachies, wranglings, and such like I despise and avoid. Those Hardshells who have accused this blog of being a "gossip column" state a glaring falsehood as anyone who reads the articles in this blog know. 

Rebuking sharply heretics may be done with grace and salt. (See my posting "Rebuke Them Sharply" - here)

Wisdom is needed to know both what to say and how to say it. It also is needed to know when to speak.

How to "answer" each person in particular requires much wisdom and prudence. Great care is needed. 

I have not always spoken or written "with grace," for I am not perfect. However, this has always been my intent. I have never intended to be caustic although I deal roughly with stubborn heretics who resort to ad hominem and personal attacks. I answer and rebuke them sharply as I am commanded of the Lord to do. 

My history of discussion with others, including opponents, has shown that I have only wanted fair and honest discussion. I do not overlook any argument presented. All the Campbellites I have debated have said that I at least answer their arguments (a thing they said others did not). I do show passion in my discourse and in my writing but I trust it is not unbecoming a Christian. Anyone is welcome to come here and have that kind of discussion.

As Forest Gump would say "that's all I have to say about that." 

No comments: