Friday, July 16, 2021

Preaching Notes & Outlines

When I first began to preach (at age 16), immediately after my baptism, in the "Primitive Baptist Church," I was educated in the beliefs of the Hardshells in regard to preaching norms. I learned quickly that it was a taboo, a "no no," to preach with notes. You were expected to preach strictly extemporaneously. There was nothing wrong with having an outline as long as that outline was not written on paper. You could use an outline but only if you do it from memory. It was generally okay for a preacher to take a citation into the pulpit and to read it so long as this did not become a habit. 

During the ten years I preached with the Hardshells I don't recall ever using notes or preparing sermons. Sometimes I went to church not knowing what I would preach upon, having several different texts or subjects on my mind. I would pray the Lord to help me. Sometimes I went into the pulpit with a blank mind. It was not very enjoyable at those times. Other times I spoke freely, the subject or subjects being fresh and heavy on my mind. 

Today, however, I have a different view of the subject about preaching with notes and sermon preparation. But, even back then, as a Hardshell, I was studying the topic. I read Baptist John Broadus' "On The Preparation and Delivery of Sermons." I remember sharing some of what I was reading with Elder Newell Helms, my father in law at the time. I also studied the various kinds of preaching styles among the PBs. 

When I left the Hardshells I began using notes and outlines. This began with debating. I certainly needed my notes in those debates. I also had charts. A couple times I used a video screen with citations and texts. The few years I was with Crossroads Baptist church and their local fellowship of churches, including their seminary, I often gave both sermons (by invitation) and taught Sunday School classes. I also taught some classes in the seminary. In those instances I had notes, mostly in the latter setting. 

In these cases when I was using notes and outlines, I nevertheless tried to look as little as possible at my notes and tried to keep my eyes on the congregation, to speak from memory, or extemporaneously. In later debates I had fewer notes. 

Every preacher should be prepared to speak any time concerning the gospel and the teachings of the bible. He need not have to carry his sermon notes around with him. He will need to speak extemporaneously many times. The same is true with being called upon to pray. We pray extemporaneously. 

The example of the apostles and of Christ show extemporaneous preaching. That is not to say that they did not prepare for preaching. They were prepared to speak because the word of God was inside of their hearts and minds. Preachers must study and then study some more. The more a person knows about his subject the easier it will be to speak freely. 

Did Spurgeon preach with notes? Yes, but generally an outline. Also, he did not have to look much at his notes since it was all in his memory. The practice of making an outline imprints it upon the mind and makes it easier to follow when actually preaching or teaching. 

What about using technology, such as visual aids, video screens, etc.? Scripture can be put up on the screen, along with the outline. Is that okay? What about handing out printed sermon materials for an audience or congregation, okay or not?

Such aids can be useful, however, they should be an aid and not a crutch. The preacher who uses such too much finds that he cannot keep his eyes on the audience but must keep looking at the screen. 

What think ye?

No comments: