Sunday, July 18, 2021

What I Like About SBCer's

I like many things about Southern Baptists. In fact, I was saved through the preaching I heard from Southern Baptists. My wife was a Southern Baptist when we met and so was her family. I have many friends who are Southern Baptists. I was a member of a local SBC church for a year before going to Crossroads Baptist (non SBC).

I love the preaching of such SBC preachers as Adrian Rogers. I admire their fight with anti missionism, Campbellism, Landmarkism, Liberalism, etc. I also admire their having both Arminian leaning and Calvinist leaning members and each is willing to fellowship the other, like the old United Baptists. I tolerate listening to Southern Baptists like Rogers even though they attack some Calvinistic points I believe, because I can eat the chicken and throw away the bones. Some Calvinistic SBC preachers also attack Arminian beliefs. But, they still work together in spreading the gospel. That is pleasing to the Lord I am sure. 

We can learn from each other. We should insist on orthodoxy, but we cannot go overboard and cut off all fellowship from those we don't consider to be as orthodox as we are. I, like Bob Ross, will fellowship any who will fellowship with me. And, I will not be the one to cut off the fellowship. I will tolerate you as long as you tolerate me. What think ye?

No comments: